Rebutia, Sulco, Wein, etc.

Create seed of your own
Sharpy

Rebutia, Sulco, Wein, etc.

Post by Sharpy »

I am curious about pollinating these and am looking for a few answers.

Lets say we have a S.Rauschii that has formed offsets. The plant goes to flowers and the main part + the offsets have flowered. Can the plant be pollinated from the offset flower to the parent plant? Or do you have to have 2 plants that formed from separate seed?

Also if a offset is removed and grown in its own, does this allow for pollination between the 2 or once again since it came from the same parent plant this will not work?

And are these answers applicable to the other groupings besides just Sulco?

I have done a lot of web searching and just can't find a answer to this.

Thanks
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
modern.shaman

Re: Rebutia, Sulco, Wein, etc.

Post by modern.shaman »

This will not work since they are the same plant, even if you remove the offset its still a clone of the parent. However if you don't have another that is flowering there is no harm in trying to self pollinate, you may get lucky and trick it into producing seeds... may not be viable.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Generally, for plants which aren't self-fertile, then the pollen from that plant or any clones of that plant will be rejected. :) Hey, it's always worth a try, though! Also, there is a method for pollinating self-fertile plants, which involves dusting the stigma with cement powder before then pollinating the plant. The cement breaks down the mechanisms which the plant uses to prevent fertilisation by it's own pollen, increasing the chance of successful fertilisation. :D
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Ok, understood. Wasn't sure if a offset was a clone or not. Since it is, then the rest makes sense. I don't have any of the ones I want yet and am just looking at what I need to buy to make my own seed.

Can't find the seed on the ones that I want, but I can find the plants, I think.
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!