Where to take cutting

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Maxy24

Where to take cutting

Post by Maxy24 »

I have a cactus which I think it going to die. It has several "arms" (I don't know much about cacti) but the base of every arm has turned brown and is shriveling. If I were to cut through an arm in the middle (not where it joins the rest of the plant) so that I am cutting through green instead of brown would the cutting take? Or do you have to cut in a certain place for the cactus to make roots?

I'll get new pictures so you can see why I think it's dying, but here is an old picture (and it's still obviously in bad shape there) so you can have an idea of what the cactus is and what arms I'm talking about, you can see the very start of some browning on a few arms.

gemhunter178

Re: Where to take cutting

Post by gemhunter178 »

It's a really etiolated Mammillaria.
As for cuttings, anywhere free of dead , dying or sick "flesh" should work, but at this point I'd just get a new plant entirely. :dontknow:
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

Thank you for replying. Do you think the cuttings will be unhealthy? I was hoping to take a whole bunch of cuttings and then tossing the main plant since it's in such bad shape.
charlpic

Post by charlpic »

The cuttings shouldn't be unhealthy. How long have you having the plant ? It seems to have freshly etiolated growth and to need much more light. If you plan on giving them the same sun exposure, you'll end up in the same position.
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

I've had it for years, it was a cutting from my Nana's plant, maybe ten years ago. The issue is that I didn't know that cacti need to be watered much less in the winter AND it's been kept inside where it's not all that sunny. We don't really have any south facing windows I could put them in, but I can put them on the porch until it gets cool again, then bring them in and stop watering.
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

Just as an update, the cuttings have all started growing roots (except one) so I've put them in substrate and am giving them some time to settle in before watering. Should I wait two weeks before giving water or can I do it sooner? Can they go out in the sun now?
charlpic

Post by charlpic »

Wait at least 7 days before watering. You've got to expose them gradually to sun otherwise it'll burn. Growing season is pretty much ending, not sure if I would get it outside this year. Find a well exposed window inside and don't water it too much. You don't want it to grow in the winter since there's not really enough light. Aim for next spring and water only to prevent it too shrivel too much.