pereskiopsis cutting in water

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
gardenboy

pereskiopsis cutting in water

Post by gardenboy »

So i recently purchased 5 peres cuttings of 10+ cm
potted them all, except for one which i cut in half, potted one half, and put the other in a little jar with some water at the bottom. removed a few leaves so it would fit. i have to questions

should I be adding nutrients at this stage or wait till the cuttings develop roots?

is the cutting in the jar of water a good idea or a wast of a cutting? saw it work in a test tube, so i can't see why this wouldn't work either.

looking forward to hearing your remarks.
(Insert Profound Quote Here)
marmel87

Re: pereskiopsis cutting in water

Post by marmel87 »

I just planted 7 pere's in soil and tried the water method with 8.

In 2 weeks 5 of the pere's in water started rooting. The remaining 3 in water are larger... not sure if that's why they seem to taking longer to root. I changed the water once every two days. I believe adding nutes before the roots develop would be a waste, as roots are required for uptake. The cool thing about the water method is that roots seemed to develop as high as the water level was.

Of the 7 pere cuttings in soil, I believe 5 of them have rooted in 2 weeks as well. They are starting to display new growth at the apical meristem. Again the two which don't appear to have rooted are much larger than the other cuttings.

Hope this helps. This is my first time rooting cuttings, so take it for what it is (one observation). The experts will chime in soon!
John C

Post by John C »

Pereskiospsis root VERY easily for me. I took a few of my larger plants and cut them down to a flat worth of cuttings. All were rotted and growing within 2 weeks, some sooner. All I did was lightly dust the cuttings with rooting hormone.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

thanks for the info, had a lot of luck with cuttings in soil.
the cutting that i placed in jar wasn't rooting so i put it in some soil and it recovered well.
i think next time i will use a longer cutting (15cm +) as the one i used was pretty short.
again, thanks for the help
(Insert Profound Quote Here)
FingerPrickinFun

Post by FingerPrickinFun »

I've always wanted to root them in water, but I've failed several times. I was NOT, however, changing the water every 2 days as you mentioned. I've had good luck with them in good ol' dirt, but I'd rather KNOW when they've rooted.

Marmel, Do you keep the roots protected from light or are they exposed? I thought I remembered reading something about that, but given that some of my cacti sprout areal roots, that seems unnecessary.