Sodium benzoate - easy to find antifungal for seedlings etc.

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
MrCrimson

Sodium benzoate - easy to find antifungal for seedlings etc.

Post by MrCrimson »

I saw this issue beeing discussed in another thread, and figured I'd post this tip I learned (and commonly used by gardeners around here).

Some times I've had problems with mold, probably spores hidden in the seed (The shell covering Astrophytum seeds, for example, is an excelent place for such thing s to hide).

When your mother makes jam, juice or similar, she will typically add a preservative in it. These preservatives contains in many (or all?) cases Sodium benzoate, an effective fungi-killer. The most known brand around here (Scandinavia) is called "Atamon", but look around in your local supermarket for food-preservatives and take a look at the product's table of contents.

I use aprox. 1 teaspoon pr litre (.25 gallon). I let the seedlings float around in it for a few hours. After that I soak the soil in the solution before I put the seeds in it. It does not affect growth in any way.

Sterilizing the soil is usually a waste of time, I never do that anymore.

Hope this is useful :thumbup:
A wise man speaks when he has something to say
A fool speaks when he has to say something
iann

Post by iann »

Hey, isn't this the stuff they put in Pepsi to poison people with benzene?
--ian
MrCrimson

Post by MrCrimson »

Yep, seems that youre right about that. However, I never drink the solution (and I usually stay away from Pepsi & similar) :P

Here is a wikipedia entry on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_benzoate

"In combination with ascorbic acid (vitamin C, E300), sodium and potassium benzoate may form benzene, a known carcinogen. Heat, light and shelf life can affect the rate benzene is formed. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is currently (as of March 2006) performing tests, but the Environmental Working Group is calling for FDA to publicly release all tests and use their authority to force companies to reformulate to avoid the benzene forming combination (EWG)."
parodias

Post by parodias »

Personally I do not trust any type of "aromatic" chemical structures in or near my cactus soils or my environment (let alone my food :) ). You may never know what kind of "metabolites" are generated which may be far more toxic and carcinogenic than the original product ever was ..
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

Not even polystyrene? :-k
parodias

Post by parodias »

phil_SK wrote:Not even polystyrene? :-k
Well I sure hope it is polymerized at 100% :D
Although it is claimed that it does not disappear/desintegrate when littered in nature I'm wondering if there any any studies about the possible chemical decay/decomposition of the styrene chains :)

Heck .. most, if not all aromatics are or carcinogenic or terratogenic or mutagenic or all of those at once .. :)
MrCrimson

Post by MrCrimson »

parodias wrote:Personally I do not trust any type of "aromatic" chemical structures in or near my cactus soils or my environment (let alone my food :) ). You may never know what kind of "metabolites" are generated which may be far more toxic and carcinogenic than the original product ever was ..
I can understand the scepticism, though this one is extensively tested and creates no known problems for the seedlings as far as I know..
parodias

Post by parodias »

I checked the toxicology reports for Benzoic acid en Benzoate before writing my comments ... I'm still not convinced about them being harmless, no info on how they decompose in a normal soil so I'm doubly cautious :)
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

Thanks MrCrimson, a very useful posting :thumbup:
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

:arrow: They have it a eBay:

SODIUM BENZOATE