Feathered cactus

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
IanFrance

Feathered cactus

Post by IanFrance »

I've looked through the Cacti Guide several times and can't see anything like this one. So I'd very much appreciate help from an expert.

The plant is about 2.5 inches in diameter and hasn't flowered yet. The spines or glochids are very fine and white with even finer filaments branching from either side, just like a feather. Below the layer of white "feathers" the form of the plant is like a Mammillaria with tubercules.
Feathered cactus.JPG
Feathered cactus.JPG (60.63 KiB) Viewed 576 times
IanFrance

Re: Feathered cactus

Post by IanFrance »

Just had another scan through the guide and found M. plumosa. I don't know why I didn't see it before! Am I right?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

IanFrance wrote:Just had another scan through the guide and found M. plumosa. I don't know why I didn't see it before! Am I right?
Yep, you got it!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

You sure did "get it"! Nice plant.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Definitely! I have two of them. For whatever reason, both of mine sunk in on one half after I got them and then started over from there. I think it may have been sun/heat scorch, but since the spines cover the stem, I just didn't know what was happening.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
IanFrance

Post by IanFrance »

Steve, Harriet and Daiv, thanks for your help with this one. I haven't had the sinking on one side problem with this plant as yet. We had a very wet Spring here after a hot spell in March which encouraged me to bring the plants out of the greenhouse. Since then I've had to keep covering them to stop them getting too wet! Summer has eventually arrived now and all are doing well. The only casualty was my Astrophytum ornatum which needed surgery to remove rot where early flowers had died. To my relief it has survived.