Do columnar cacti seedlings flop over naturally?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
CactusFanDan

Re: Do columnar cacti seedlings flop over naturally?

Post by CactusFanDan »

insipidtoast wrote:So, here's where I'd like to get your input:
Since they have never gone more than two weeks without water (most of the time, except maybe during the winter, they've received a nice drenching once per week), do you think dry conditions are their evolutionary trigger for horizontal growth?
I'm going to stop watering them for another week or two (it's already been at least one week) just to see how they respond. The spring growth rate on my plants is really starting to quicken now, so the effects of any cultural changes should manifest a lot quicker now. How do you think that will affect them? Will they go chlorotic? Start allocating more growth for basal girth? Wither away? Or what? I'm planning on selling a lot of these at the beginning of June for a fundraiser, so hopefully they start perfecting themselves.
1. No, there's no reason why it would be. Plants need water to growth and since cacti store water in their stems, they are more likely to grow horizontally (fatten out) if they are watered regularly.
2. Their growth rate might slow down a little, but it won't be detrimental to their health.
3. I doubt it. Chlorosis isn't very common in cacti and watering less won't effect induce it, as it's caused mainly by mineral and nitrogen deficiencies.
I've noticed that basal girth just tends to increase with age and it's generally quite a peculiar thing. Probably your best bet here is to use a heavier potting mix or a gravel collar or something to that effect.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
insipidtoast

Post by insipidtoast »

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I gave them a little squirt of seaweed extract yesterday, and watered them good today for the first time in three or four weeks. They look really good. I don't know if it's just my outlook, but they do look beautiful.

I like your signature. I know the feeling!
lamer12

Post by lamer12 »

I am new to growing cacti but two quick questions come to mind(there is still much to fill :wink: ). The first, what would be the signs of salt air effecting the plant surface or soil? Second, what are some signs that one would expect from growing a cactus at the wrong altitude? :-k
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

lamer12 wrote:I am new to growing cacti but two quick questions come to mind(there is still much to fill :wink: ). The first, what would be the signs of salt air effecting the plant surface or soil? Second, what are some signs that one would expect from growing a cactus at the wrong altitude? :-k
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'salt air', but I assume you live somewhere coastal and are concerned about the possible effects of this on your plants. Well as long as you keep your plants in pots and not in the ground, and also water with freshwater then they will be protected from any salt damage. Also, cacti seem to grow more or less the same, regardless of altitude. Many forms of cacti native to the high Andes grow just fine close to sea level. :D
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog