Garlic mustard

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Dmyerswny

Garlic mustard

Post by Dmyerswny »

Is this a problem anywhere else? I found a bunch in my yard that wasn't there last year and they are in flower.
Thirsty for knowledge. Please water me more than your cactus!
RayC

Re: Garlic mustard

Post by RayC »

I'm not sure I'd reconize it, but a quick google search yields lots of hits regarding the invasive nature of it. Flowers will mean more seeds to grow
Dmyerswny

Post by Dmyerswny »

I ID'd it after I found it in my yard. Now that I know what it looks like its easy to spot everywhere. Every wooded area I drive by on my way to work is covered.
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

This plant is a serious invasive species. It destroys symbiotic organisms that are the basis for the survival of forest. They cause death to many natives. You can use them as an herb also. Only thing in that eats them lives in its homeland of Europe and Asia.
Dmyerswny

Post by Dmyerswny »

Something about the roots that kill other plants right? The more I look for it I can definitely see it taking over an area easily.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Dmyerswny wrote:Something about the roots that kill other plants right? The more I look for it I can definitely see it taking over an area easily.
Apparently they produce allelopathic chemicals that kill the mycorrhizae (a symbiotic fungus in most plants that sort of acts like a root system) of the plants around them. According to what I saw on Wikipedia it seems that the mycorrhizae in its native range are immune, but the type in North America is not.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants