Contest 64 : Discussion and related Pictures

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
daiv
Site Admin

Re: Contest 64 : Discussion and related Pictures

Post by daiv »

Yes, we should almost run two simultaneous picture contests. One contest like we've been doing. And then a contest to vote for the best of Jordi's runner up pics.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
John C

Post by John C »

daiv wrote:Yes, we should almost run two simultaneous picture contests. One contest like we've been doing. And then a contest to vote for the best of Jordi's runner up pics.
I think this is a good idea :)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
John C

Post by John C »

Just a reminder: The Photo Contest ends at midnight, central standard time (Tuesday, March 20th). We had quite a turnout this month. I certainly don't want to leave anyone out of the voting, so if your photo has been lost in the forum disaster please repost it before the deadline if you have the opportunity.

Here are a couple photos of seedlings in my backyard garden. I seem to have horrible luck growing yucca from seed in pots and it always seems to grow easily in the wild, so I put all of my Yucca glauca seeds in my garden in early winter. Look at what I have now! :D

"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

John,
That's great! I collected Y. glauca seed from the Dakotas a couple years back and sowed them in the field with my hardy cacti. The problem is that with all the grass that is growing with them, I won't know where they are for a while!
CactusJordi

Post by CactusJordi »

Be careful with sowing Yucca seeds. It might get out of control like these volunteer seedlings of a Yucca whipplei which came up out of seeds distributed/left by the dead mother plant.
IMG_0856.JPG
IMG_0856.JPG (175.22 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
Jordi
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well if I could get them to come up like that in this area I'd be thrilled! I would really like to get a nice grouping of Y. glauca going out in the field here. I wonder if it would be possible to sustain the month/plant symbiosis with a small isolated population.
John C

Post by John C »

Good luck Daiv! Hopefully they all pop up and surprise you with clumps of yucca!

Wow! That is a lot of yuccas, Jordi! It shouldn't be a problem though, as I plan on removing them and planting them in pots as they get a little larger.
"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I wonder how they will handle that. John watch for the deep roots on those. I got some Joshua seeds years ago and sowed them in a small pot. I pretty much lost one plant every time I tried repotting them to a larger size until there were none left.
John C

Post by John C »

daiv wrote:I wonder how they will handle that. John watch for the deep roots on those. I got some Joshua seeds years ago and sowed them in a small pot. I pretty much lost one plant every time I tried repotting them to a larger size until there were none left.
Well that would be sad :( Maybe I should start digging them up and potting them soon then?
"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

John,
Didn't mean to strike fear in you. It may be that Y. glauca is tough as nails. I think the key is to get down deep as they have a tap-root that goes straight to china. I think I heard that Y. brevefolia is especially sensitive.

Daiv
CactusJordi

Post by CactusJordi »

daiv wrote:... I heard that Y. brevefolia is especially sensitive....
It is indeed! Best way to grow it: sow it in the place you want to grow it forever.

Jordi
John C

Post by John C »

daiv wrote:John,
Didn't mean to strike fear in you. It may be that Y. glauca is tough as nails. I think the key is to get down deep as they have a tap-root that goes straight to china. I think I heard that Y. brevefolia is especially sensitive.

Daiv
Don't worry, you didn't strike fear in me. I just thought you are right (that they have such large roots) So, maybe I should dig them out soon before they get too large.
"Where the West begins"