Frankincense

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
tvaughan

Frankincense

Post by tvaughan »

Well it's not much, but given the difficulty of getting the thing even a half inch tall took a mighty effort :-) so anyway, my horticultural contribution to the season, except for the grinches out there :-) who might want to wait a few months before reading this thread :-)

Frankincense comes from the dried sap of this tree, Boswellia sacra. They only grow in a very few, very arid regions where there's lots of dew in the morning but very little water and no frost. Oh, and the soil has to be a degraded limestone, and it must be boiling hot in the summer. So that's why the stuff has been so insanely valuable throughout history, as only, like, the Sultan of Oman gets the best for his personal stash rare. And germination is really bad; only one out of the 5 seeds I bought came up.

It's used for incense of course, and there are medical uses. You wound the tree occasionally to harvest the dried sap, but only after the plant is really old. Anyway, here's what it looks like:

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That's really cool Tim! Do you know if they make an artificial approximation of the scent? I never thought much of it before, but after reading your post, I really want to know what it smells like!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

Don't know! I've never smelled it, and probably couldn't afford it anyway :-)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

hey, I saw this last night. I have never smelled this stuff either nor would I be able to afford it probably.

I saw this article on Yahoo.
http://news.yahoo.com/frankincense-stap ... 07863.html
(edit) and it made me think of your seedling.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
cactihunter

Post by cactihunter »

That is so cool :shock:

I don't know if anyone has seen this but this is one of my favourite chefs Heston Blumenthal. He is an uber experimental chef from England and goes about his cooking in a totally different way. The clip is about his Ultimate Christmas Feast, where he incorporates Gold Frankincense and Myhrr into one of his courses and how he found Frankincense in Oman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSEX438L9Jc
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
PoC

Post by PoC »

You guys talking about not being able to afford frankincense - it's pretty commonly sold in herb shops and even head shops as incense. Can be fairly reasonable - I've burned some at home over a red hot coal. It's an amazing smell and has been shown to have anti-depressant/anti-anxiety action.

Very nice seedling there!