Landscapers. Arrggh!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
tumamoc

Landscapers. Arrggh!

Post by tumamoc »

I'm sure this guy knew better than anyone else how to transplant a saguaro. You got to sink 'em four feet into the ground, of course! They don't fall over that way.
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

The cactus looks standing ok to me.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Ya, who needs the guy-wires and stakes and all that extra stuff.
Just plant it like a freakin telephone pole! :roll:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

martenfisher wrote:The cactus looks standing ok to me.
If you plant it deep enough to stand securely on its own, it's too deep and will die. Around here, Saguaro transplants are supported by three large padded 2x4 braces, which remain for at least 2 full seasons.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Well these two seem to have survived the transplant--going on several years now--but they look absolutely ridiculous.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Maybe in person, they look fine from the pics...
Wallydraigle

Post by Wallydraigle »

Looks fine to me too.
TimN

Post by TimN »

I was speaking to a landscaper who transplants a lot of big plants locally, and he said you can bury Saguaros and Cardons as deep as you want, no problems. it's often done to get the arms closer to the ground. More eye appeal/visual interest...
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

That surprises me. I've always been under the impression that crown rot is a major Saguaro nemesis.
Sundewnerd

Post by Sundewnerd »

The second one looks great!

Do these urban saguaros get more water than the ones growing in the wild?
Last edited by Sundewnerd on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

I just found this video a while back. Thought it fit in with this topic. I found it interesting since we don't plant things like that here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGISzXB25Tc
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

I'll give the you tube guy credit. Two guys with a plant that big is not an easy task.

I've moved several (more than a dozen) large columnar cacti of at least 10 feet. And lots more in the 3 to 10 foot range.

The thing to consider is, compare it to any cutting you make on any cactus. Where is the "crown" of the plant? Obviously there is none because the cutting was made above ground (in all likelyhood). In fact, the next time you re-pot any cactus, look and try to figure out if there is, in fact a crown like in so many leafy trees where there is a plant structure that is neither root nor stem, but that transisional place that we call the "crown" of the plant.

The other thing is, two weeks is not enough time. I always use sulphur dust which is a cheap anti fungal agent. Liberally dusting the cutting, roots and hole as the plant goes in. What do you think is happening to the bottom of the cutting with those two scrubbing it around in the hole? Fresh wounds on the bottom now and watch out for rot.

I have nearly always planted the moved plant deeper than it was originally. The only defining mark is where the brown dirt was on the plant as it was growing. I can tell all that the only plants that have been lost were ones that were over-watered after they were in the ground.

A large plant like the ones shown on the You tube video will take a long time to develope a root structure that will really stabilize the plant. I agree with the depth (maybe a little deep, but that's really not the issue), but completely disagree with him on several fronts. The cactus mix in the bottom of the hole is not going to help the plant at all. It is not stable.

The dirt into which the plant is going needs to be stable enough to support the plant or it is doomed. It will be years before the roots expand enough to actually support the plant. The plant is not going to grow in that little amount of cactus mix. Why confuse its roots. The state university system here has proven to itself that no tree should be planted with amendments. It is going to need to grow in the soil into which you are putting it. If you confuse it with amendments, the roots will want to stay in the soft nutrient rich amendment and not venture out into the soil where they must go to stabilize the tree. In addition he made a huge mistake by digging the hole deeper that the base of the plant and putting the soft amendment in there. It will take years to stabilize.

My main objection to the planting is the soil itself. It does not look fast draining enough. If they water that plant, it will have a very difficult time surviving. They have dug a nice swimming pool for the plant to play in and I can't see long term success.

All of that said, over watering, particularly in the first year or two after planting is the cause of most large cactus' death. A 50 year old plant is not going to decide whether it likes its new home for a long time. Count on two years at least for it to acclimate or croak.

I always tell any new owner of a big cactus. Just don't water it at all for the first year. Let what rain falls happen, but don't water it. It will probably be planted in a softer environment than it's native habitat in the first place and it is designed to last for years without water.
Buck Hemenway