E-Bay Plant ID

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Tetrazole

E-Bay Plant ID

Post by Tetrazole »

Anybody want to take a shot at what this e-bay plant might be? They identify it as E. heptagona but it doesn't seem to look at all like that species.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EUPHORBIA-HEPTA ... 35a82bfdeb

I have had an Euphorbia heptagona for several years and it looks nothing at all like the e-bay plant. Photos of my plant have been posted here in the distant past without any questions regarding its identity. Nearly all the pieces are indeed 7 sided and it has never sprouted leaves like the one in the e-bay photo.
The photo above is of my plant circa 2009. It has since grown considerably - branching out from each of the tips .
“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”
― Brigid Brophy
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

It looks to me like E trigona. For sure not heptagona. Nice price.
Buck Hemenway
iann

Post by iann »

Is it one of the branching ones like E. enopla?
--ian
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

I'm pretty sure it's not Euphorbia trigona. I'd say E. enopla.
Nothing smells as sweet as a frangipani flower...
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

You're so right...the plant in the eBay pic isn't E. heptagona or anything similar, unlike the plant in your pic, which may be.

The eBay plant is one of impossible-to-identify E. abyssinica/E. candelabrum/E. ingens tree species

That listing is offensive for two reasons (1) gross misidentification, and (2) From a reputable seller, grossly overcharging... $106? Home Depot sells the same thing for 29 bucks.

-R
jessr

Post by jessr »

lancer99 wrote:(2) From a reputable seller, grossly overcharging... $106? Home Depot sells the same thing for 29 bucks.

-R
I got one much larger than that last year for $11 at HD :lol:
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

jessr wrote:
lancer99 wrote:(2) From a reputable seller, grossly overcharging... $106? Home Depot sells the same thing for 29 bucks.

-R
I got one much larger than that last year for $11 at HD :lol:
That's the difference between VA Beach and the DC suburbs :)

-R
iann

Post by iann »

I even saw some in the a box store here recently (or maybe a similar but different species. 12.95. Pounds! Marked as "Large Cactus" :)
--ian