Interested in two Opuntia pads

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
Bonezy

Interested in two Opuntia pads

Post by Bonezy »

I'd like to try my luck at starting a couple of plants from these. I'm interested in 2 pads each one from different non-hybrid species if possible. I don't have anything to trade right now, so compensation will be in the form of a payment which will include shipping charges. Thanks!
Tony

Post by Tony »

I can send you cuttings of,

Opuntia basilaris v. basilaris
O. cochenillifera
O. dillenii (form with heavy spines)
O. humifusa (spineless)
O. macrocentra
O. aurea
O. microdasys v. albispina
O. microdasys (Gold spined wavey form)
O. monacantha variagata

Austrocylindropuntia verschaffeltii
A. vestita monstrose
A. subulata
A. subulata monstrose

Brasiliopuntia brasiliensis

Consolea rubescens

Tephrocactus articulatus v. papyracanthus
T. articulatus v. diadematus
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Bonezy

Post by Bonezy »

Excellent! Thanks for the quick reply Tony. If I did my homework correctly, O. microdasys v. albispina
O. microdasys (Gold spined wavey form) would both be smaller forms of Opuntia. I this correct? If so they would both be excellent choices for me to start off with. Either way I'll pm you, Tony. Again, thank you!
apacholek10

Post by apacholek10 »

Hey Tony,
Would any of those opuntia be spinless or nearly spineless? I am looking to try to match a type of Prickly Pear I have, but don't have any pictures. Do you have any or know of any that are spineless or nearly spineless? Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
Anthony
Tony

Post by Tony »

Yes, the Opuntia basilaris, O. cochenillifera, O. humifusa, Consolea rubescens and Tephrocactus articulatus v. diadematus are all virtually spineless. There may be more but I don't grow them.

Tony
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Be careful what you wish for, a couple of years ago I wanted an Opuntia pad or two. Now I have more than a dozen different plants, countless pads, one humifusa that is trying to take over the world, and sometimes I think my hands are growing glochids!

Funny thing is that most of my plants were "gifts" or practically free. Little did I suspect that fellow forum members would actually try to rid themselves of extra glochid factories from their yards! (And despite the itchy skin, I love every one of the prickly things!)

You gotta love this hobby!! :lol:
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Bonezy

Post by Bonezy »

I agree Harriet, I too own a few plants that suffer from the guppy, or rabbit if you like, multiplication syndrome. As far as the opuntia is concerned, hopefully the fact that I have about a 5 month optimal period for growth that should keep them in check, or so I think. :? Only time will tell. Stay tuned! :)
The Other Another Peter
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

LoL eventually my yard will be one gigantic glochid factory. I already have an extensive garden of freebies and of course a few of them broke off pads which rooted and are now in other places. And of course I am always adding to my collection, and finally Arizona's growing season is long, and apparently they like it here because I have blooms on some of my plants this year which surprises me a little bit.

Harriet the past week I have been getting glochids in me on a daily basis. That's what I get for having a glochid factory. However like you I love my glochid factory... :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
apacholek10

Post by apacholek10 »

thanks for the help everyone. I don't believe this is any of the options...can you ID this by chance? http://www.flickr.com/photos/31645449@N02/4163841244/#/
Anthony
Tony

Post by Tony »

Maybe ficus-indica?

Tony
Peterthecactusguy

looks like it could be o. ficus-indica. I have the one that I got from another member that is variegated that looks like it has about the same sized pads. It's possible they don't get as large as normal because they are in pots too?

Just my two cents worth at id.
apacholek10

Post by apacholek10 »

thanks guys! Any one have a few pads they could spare? Willing to trade and such if wanted
Anthony
Peterthecactusguy

I have some gigantic pads that fell off the plant I just moved. If you would like one PM me and let me know. I will caution you they are pretty large.