Sonora Pics: Moctezuma area

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
peterb

Sonora Pics: Moctezuma area

Post by peterb »

New Year's Eve we drove out of Bahia Kino, visited the site of Grusonia reflexispina and then headed east to Moctezuma. When I had checked Ralph Martin's field number database, I saw a lot of records for plants I'm interested in from around Moctezuma.

We ended up driving in the dark over the Ruta de Sierra, a two laner with no shoulder over incredibly mountainous terrain. I don't recommend this, haha. But we made it to Moctezuma safe and sound, in time for me to have some excellent carne asada tacos and for us to rent a very nice room at a funny little place called Hotel Biguan.

In the morning, I headed back west through the mountains to look for plants. Odd to see Stenocereus thurberi growing in mountainous woodlands:

Mammillaria sp. (grahamii sort of olivae?):

Cylindropuntia acanthocarpa:

Another local Opuntia:

A couple of the local trees that caught my eye. This leafless, smooth-barked gray tree flowering in January with nice cup shaped flowers:
One of the fallen flowers:
The bark on this tree really cool, reminds me of the Alligator Juniper that grow in southern NM:

A Mammillaria species growing in the shaded woods along with M. heyderi (?):
M. heyderi (?):
Another cool Mammillaria:

Most exciting for me was finding Coryphantha recurvata and a miniature Agave. First, C. recurvata. Only found a couple plants in a very large area.

The miniature Agave. At first I thought it might be Agave toumeyana ssp. bella, but that form is only known from Arizona. Maybe these are Agave parviflora? I was quite enchanted by the tiny rosettes, filiferous leaf margins and white markings.

Echinocereus bristolii ssp. pseudopectinatus:

East of Moctezuma, we stopped in an area to look for Mammillaria mainiae and luckily found them right away. Very pretty plants:

Another couple Mammillaria in the vicinity:

A cool cholla also in this area, not sure what species:

Another interesting Fouqueria-like tree with strange peeling green bark, also in this area:

Finally, very near Agua Prieta, some impressive Echinocereus fendleri rectispinus:

That's it for the trip, except I'll probably post some more tourist-y photos in the Free for All section. Happy New year all,

peterb
Zone 9
angelo

Post by angelo »

don't I know if there has been a strong drought in that places but the echinocereuses they seem to be well and they have very strong thorns, is it a very rainy zone?
peterb

Post by peterb »

I'm not sure what recent weather had been in that part of Sonora, but it seemed fairly green, as if perhaps there have been winter rains. Many of the Echinocereus were looking dry, however. I posted the best looking ones.

This one was lying flat against the rock, with the soil eroded away from the roots:

peterb
Zone 9
Tony

Post by Tony »

Awsome! Thanks for throwing in the cool Tree images, I would have beeen checking those out too!
I agree the agave looks like Agave parviflora, I just got one and it matches.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
reina

Post by reina »

Mammillaria grahamii (syn. oliviae)

white flowered tree = Ipomoea arborescens

Mexican blue oak (Quercus oblongifolia)

Mammillaria standleyi complex

Mammillaria grahamii

Agave parviflora

Echinocereus pseudopectinatus (bristolii is an endemic with a highly restricted range)

Mammillaria grahamii

Fouquieria macdougalii

R
angelo

Post by angelo »

peterb wrote:This one was lying flat against the rock, with the soil eroded away from the roots:
despite good part of the roots it is open the dimension of the stem it allows to understand that the plant has not heard again rather you/he/she is grown well of it.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Reina, thanks for the IDs. I was going with Echinocereus bristolii var. pseudopectinatus only because of the information at Ralph Martin's field number database, based on collections from around Moctezuma.

Those Ipomoea are wonderful trees. The Fouqueria mcdougalii are awesome trees as well.

Any idea on the Opuntia with cylindrical joints and orange spines? Can't really find anything like it so far on the web.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Reina,
I see by your posts that you've got a good grasp of Mexican plants. I was going to see what I could come up with for Dale's Mammillarias in this post:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15040

I wonder if you would weigh in on those too?

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

That cholla is a nice one. Can't seem to place it though. I first thought C. davisii but I don't think it grows down there.

Not sure on the Opuntia either, but I'm gonna see what I can find.

Great pics!!
peterb

Post by peterb »

I was actually thinking the Opuntia with cylindrical joints might not be a cholla, but a regular old Opuntia. It definitely doesn't fit with any Cylindropuntia I've been able to find. I just ordered a copy of _Cactaceas de Sonora, Mexico_ by Rafaela Peredes Aguila, T. Van Devender et al, so I look forward to cross checking in there.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Doesn't look like there are any fruits on the Opuntia. That would help a lot and certainly be a definitive difference between Opuntia and Cylindropuntia. :?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peterb

Post by peterb »

Dave Ferguson suggests Opuntia pubescens for the cylindrical jointed Opuntia above. A regular "Platyopuntia," not a cholla.

Photos on the web seem to match.

peterb
Zone 9
reina

Post by reina »

It's probably pubescens. In Sonora, it's found in subtropical situations, much like the area you were in around Moctezuma.
reina

Post by reina »

Daiv,

My knowledge is restricted to the northwestern region.

R
peterb

Post by peterb »

I ordered two books yesterday to help give me a better sense of this area of Mexico, plant-wise. The first, _Cactaceas De Sonora Mexico: Su Diversidad, Uso y Conservacion_ by Aguilar and Van Devender, and _People of the desert and Sea: Ethnobotany of the Seri Indians_ by Felger and Moser.

Thanks again for the ID help Reina.

peterb
Zone 9