Seedlings on Pereskiopsis - UPDATED 7 Jan 2010

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That is a notable observation between leafless stocks and stocks with leaves. The conclusion makes sense and seems proof enough that the leaves provide a lot of energy for the plant.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
vlani

Post by vlani »

Actually the good idea to grow seedlings tall at first, and than give them better light. That is if you planning to de-graft them eventually. The area next to the stock turns woody due to Pereskiopsis hormones. Don't forget it is a bush.
This woody area is called "plug". When you root the scion you need to cut off that woody area, or rooting will be hard or impossible. And if successful, plants grow slowly.
The plug gets as big as 1/2 inch or 1cm - and even more.
Apart from that, if grown "flat" seedlings start growing down - around the stock. That also makes scion of a shape hard or impossible to cut off for rooting
süleyman

Post by süleyman »

Thanks friends :)
Peter: I use Osram Fluora sunlight fluorescent lamps made for plant growing. 4x18W on the graft's and seedling's boxes. These lamps' colour is pink.
You can see my system pic. just four replies before. The distance between the lamps and plants is about 25 cm. and they are on for 14 hours daily.
By the way here is my working room at home 8)