Luckhoffia bueckmanni?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
swords

Luckhoffia bueckmanni?

Post by swords »

Does anyone have information on this plant? Looking it up on Google only seems to bring up old TeeDee Cacti ebay auctions. Is this a non-existent name or what? I have several of these plants and one which has gotten big is bending over the pot, is that what it's supposed to do? The smaller ones are all standing straight up.

Thanks for any info you may be able to share about it.
Neko Bazu

Post by Neko Bazu »

It does exist; here's some links I found:

davesgarden.com
agilent.com
aridlands.com
oldmancactus.com

Maybe you could get in touch with someone on one of those sites? Can't say I have any personal knowledge of it though - sorry!
Sometimes, the world makes more sense when viewed upside-down...

Carpe cerevisiam, carpe dementum, carpe solum!
swords

Post by swords »

Hey thanks man! That Old Man Cactus page is the best saying:
"...Once considered a monotypic genus, Luckhoffia is now considered to be a natural hybrid between Hoodia species and Caralluma x L. beukmannii x L. beukmannii cristata..."

Also helps explain why just about every picture (and my plant) doesn't look much alike. Each link has a diff vegetation! :D

I'll have to wait for a bloom. Anyone growing this and have tips on inspiring blooming? Some of my Stapeliads are poking out little bloom spears, a lot seem to abort though. Perhaps I need to water more often to see the blooms through since they're planted in grit?
toddo

Post by toddo »

Hey swords. Luckhoffia buekmanii is supposedly a natural hybrid. I dont think anyone knows exactly which plants created it. The flowers are pretty unique so this one seems to be easy to ID. The longer stems do tend to start to fall over. This one might make a great candidate for a hanging basket. There are so many reasons why your plant could be aborting buds it's really impossible to say. I try to not do anything different at all. You still will lose a few here and there.

I attached a pic of mine from last summer. Already has buds this year but they are just forming up..

HTH
swords

Post by swords »

Thanks Toddo! That's a great looking plant! I hope I get some red blooms like that. The bent stem on my larger one is the same as the bent stem in the back of your shot so I guess it's ok, it's not soft just seemed to bend over in just the last week or so, we did have a really hot spell (hot as Vegas in MN for 2 days) and the Stapeliad shelf got to 102*F even with extra air fans, maybe that cooked the blooms like a veggie steamer? Just made the Anacampseros open though! lol!

I have what I think is a Huernia praetestans opening today but the flower is only open halfway, seemed to have stalled. All my other cacti and succulents bloom just fine. Of course the blooms I like best (the ascleps) seem to be finicky about flowers.