Macy's Flower Show - Minneapolis

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Tom2643

Macy's Flower Show - Minneapolis

Post by Tom2643 »

The Macy's in Downtown Minneapolis has a big auditorium on the 8th floor which hosts a big flower show every spring, hosted by Bachman's, a local greenhouse chain. This year's theme was "Dream In Color" which consisted of displays of gardens that were vaguely themed by nationality. I didn't really get the theme most of the time but it was really pretty none the less. They had one garden that I can only assume was supposed to be a Mexico/Southwest garden that featured a couple large cacti and agave plus some artfully placed Agave flower stalks that had been dried and actually gave a nice architectural feel to the display. Anyways, I snagged you guys some pictures! I don't really understand what the Wollemi Pine had to do with the southwest theme...but it was pretty anyways. Ok ok, time for pictures.

That was pretty much it for their cacti, it was still fun to look at though! It did get a lot of attention from the onlookers, I think just because it was so different from all the other displays that were lush beds of flowers.
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Still, it looks like a pretty good show. :)

I see a dead agave flower stalk in the mix. :wink:
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

I don't really understand what the Wollemi Pine had to do with the southwest theme
:shock: Rightly so!
That, a species of prehistoric Australian tree (discovered in 1994, only 150km from the largest city in the country!), is about as far removed as possible. well i guess its got that 'odd, strange, bizarre, unique' plant feel too it, so in it goes by association! still it looks alright, sort of fits in. :)
i notice they often do a similar thing in cactus displays here with Cycas revoluta (sago palms), native to Japan but somehow also blend in quite well with the Mexico/southwest theme.
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

Yeah, I was kind of thinking to myself "Australia is about as far away from native cacti habitat as you can get..." when I saw it but what ever. It was the largest one I've ever seen which was still pretty cool. The french garden also featured several nice sized variegated yucca plants which again didn't scream France but still looked nice
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That's what I saw on the morning news! And they did focus in on the cactus and not the other displays.

They talked about the Wollemi Pine too. I guess if I had one that size, I'd show it off whenever I got the chance too. :roll:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

I certainly would too! The only other one I've ever seen was about.....6 inches tall and for sale for about $100.
cactuslover911

nice pictures

Post by cactuslover911 »

yeah that looks like a pretty good show so i might go next spring if my mum and dad let me.
you took some really good pictures considering they are pretty big cacti plants!
just one last question about the show was it a big show or just a little thing with a few cacti?
CACTUSLOVER OUT YO!!!!!
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

Thanks for sharing.

Good to see cacti and woody lilies featured.

I imagine the Wollemi Pine was there merely as another form of exotica - or just for bragging rights. Either way, nice to see it all.
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

My guess is the bragging rights. Either way it was fun to see!