Questions for mineral soil mediums

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: Questions for mineral soil mediums

Post by WayneByerly »

Spikylover wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:53 am I have a question: what if i used a 100% mineral mix and then put a layer of rich organic matter on top so that the nutrients leach down. Since it is at the surface, it will dry very fast and the roots will only be in the mineral mix which dries fast too
NO layering, NO layering. NO layering.

I urge you, and ALL other members here to watch these YouTube videos on how water travels through different kinds of soils and WHY. So considering that we want our cacti soil mediums to drain quickly, a soil mixture without layers is preferred. NO top dressing, NO bottom layers. Creating layers in your soil CAN cause your carefully formulated soil mixture to retain water longer, and even in hidden selected layers, much longer than we would desire.

Four of the SEVERAL videos on this topic. Their lengths are listed on the right side of the links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ego2FkuQwxc -- 16:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmo0FRAVgkM -- 3:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmTNFIEc2VA -- 25:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLqjayGZq60 -- 24:07

These videos are not necessarily about or for cacti specifically. But they ARE ... VERY ... useful general knowledge about the physics of the way water moves through soil, and therefore worth our time.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

I see a LOT of discussion, but very little evidence one way or another for soil mixtures that contain a high percentage of inorganic material. NOTHING wrong with that, and I do not in any fashion mean to be disrespectful of anyONE or any comments or discussion ... but nothing works like good evidence one way or another.

I personally, through having gone through a series of soil mixtures that range from 80 to 90% inorganic materials think that this is a very good idea ... GENERALLY speaking, as there are cacti that have VERY convincing genus/species-specific requirements otherwise. I base this opinion on the performance of close to 90 different containers worth of physical evidence. I did NOT decant ALL of these xerophytes but selected what I thought would be a reasonable representation of this number of pots.

The components that I have used (and these mixtures HAVE varied some) were: horticultural pumice, BonsaiBlock (from bonsaijack.com), turface, volcanic rock (many sources available, but also from bonsaijack.com), Akadama (a volcanic rock from Japan), and IF there was any organic content I only used bark as (in MY experience) cacti roots SEEM to have a great affinity for bark.

The Evidence
This was a brand new cactus (Mammillaria marksiana) planted in one of my high percentage inorganic compositions in early June of 2018, and it had at that point, a very small root bundle ... as is commonly found on cacti that are only about 2 inches wide (50mm)
2018-04-06 DSCF3906.jpg
2018-04-06 DSCF3906.jpg (104.9 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
When I decanted it in September to examine its roots, it was about 3 inches (75mm) across and it looked like this.
High percentage inorganic mix 1.jpg
High percentage inorganic mix 1.jpg (127.1 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
This is a Pachypodium lameri. I kept no record as to when I transplanted it into a high percentage inorganic medium but decanted it within days of the M. marksiana. The results, as you can see, are remarkably similar. Perhaps I should have put it in a bigger pot!!!
High percentage inorganic mix 2.jpg
High percentage inorganic mix 2.jpg (106.42 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
I absolutely DO NOT claim that this is the end-all/be-all perfect answer for all xeric plants. It does, however, seem to be SOME evidence that SOME cacti generally DO appreciate being planted in these kinds of soil mixes. I DO realize that some genus/species have very specific needs or requirements that will supercede conditions that are general in nature like those that I have presented here. AND that the fertilize-every-time-I-water with the Dyna-Gro Orchid Pro 7-8-6 schema that I use will definately have some influence.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
outfit

Post by outfit »

The Stone Eaters article linked in the original posters post is one of the most interesting articles I have read. Here is a direct link to the pdf of interest for those that can not find the correct issue:
https://xerophilia.ro/wp-content/upload ... Eaters.pdf

And further info on how cacti grow on rocks:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 209687.stm
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

I myself grow cacti (desert mexican cacti) on nothing but coarse silica sand and limestone chip (without any organic matter) with the help of osmocote

My goal is to make inhabitable condition for weeds and pests, that only the cactus it self could survive and thrive
Also...it seems spot on (for me) to mimic those cacti's habitat of calcareous soil and rock

Well, i admit that i have very very very little "flying hours" in growing cacti (it has been only 2+ months now)
But, this acts as my experiment and i'll keep posting the result
outfit wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:14 pm The Stone Eaters article linked in the original posters post is one of the most interesting articles I have read. Here is a direct link to the pdf of interest for those that can not find the correct issue:
https://xerophilia.ro/wp-content/upload ... Eaters.pdf

And further info on how cacti grow on rocks:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 209687.stm
Thanks for sharing
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The alternative explanation was one given by a Brazilian Botanist who said that cacti growing on alkaline rocks only grew when acid rain fell and they stopped growing again once the rocks turned the water alkaline. The argument is they grow on alkaline rocks because being slow growers and not constantly needing water, as with other plants, they can and it avoids competition with other faster growing plants on less alkaline soils that would outgrow and over top them.

The question whether they actually need alkalinity is constantly being debated, so it's what works for you. Some consider limestone a growth retardant that keeps the plants compact and "habitat looking" unlike bloated show plants and others say limestone, unlike garden lime only releases it's alkalinity very slowly, therefore takes quite a time to alter the PH of the soil to a toxic level. Most S. American cacti seem to prefer a soil on the acid side of neutral and most I found growing in Chile were either growing on disintegrated granite or quartz sand. Again really experimentation of growing similar seedlings side by side is needed to find the truth.

See:-

https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/Cactus%20an ... linity.pdf

Actually your Osmacoat may be doing exactly the same as acid rain is doing, or acidifying your water, since it is slightly acid therefore counteracting the alkalinity of the limestone:-

https://plantersplace.com/pp-ate/madison4568s-question/

Also another thing I read was somebody as an experiment tried growing some Chilean cacti in both peat based soils and mineral ones. The ones in the peat based mixture produced far more top growth, but a more fibrous root system. However those in the mineral mixture a lot less top growth but a much better tuberous root system, just as in habitat. You can see why Dutch growers grow them in peat therefore since they get paid for top growth that can be seen, not roots unless they are selling carrots!
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Now, i have some time to write my long newbie's 2 cents
Did i say "long" and "newbie"?
So, read it on your own risks 😁

First of all, i would like to thanks Dave for his ALWAYS informative explanation
It helps me a lot in learning about cacti

Secondly, i would like to state my position in this discusion
I'am the one who....
1) like to grow my mexican desert cacti in a mixture that mimic their habitat, which is calcareous in nature. Afterall, this is what Roger Brown says in the The Cactus Family.
Screenshot_2020-01-31-07-08-55-1.png
Screenshot_2020-01-31-07-08-55-1.png (179.22 KiB) Viewed 3240 times
2) agree to use the acidified water for watering cacti as i have indicated in this post

Having said that...here we go...
DaveW wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:11 pm The alternative explanation was one given by a Brazilian Botanist who said that cacti growing on alkaline rocks only grew when acid rain fell and they stopped growing again once the rocks turned the water alkaline.
it is interessting that he said that, because that bring up a question in my mind.

Why do the cacti grow when the acid rain falls?
1) was it because it loves the acidity that the rain brings (ie. The rain turns the enviroment acid and the cacti loves it)?
2) or was it because the acid rain triggers something that the cacti loves?

In my imagination, this post tells me that Steve might need to pour a good amount of acidified water to his pot of cactus. Let's say he pour a glass (200cc) of acidified water for a pot of (10x10x10)cm cubic.

According to wiki, precipitation of Chihuahuan desert is only 235mm annualy for the area of 362.000km square
Well...compared to Steve's pot which is only (1x10^-10)km square...it would seem that his pot has soooooooo much "precipitation" from his 1 glass of acidified water...don't you agree?

So i dont think that the precipitation of mexican desert would push down it's calcareous PH from PH8 (let's say) to PH7 (ie. the Mexican desert environment become acidic and the cacti loves it and grow when the acidic rain fall)
Not to mention, pushing it further from PH7 to PH6 (which is 100 time harder to do)
Or, to push it from PH6 to PH5 (which is 1000 time harder to do - remember that this is a logarithmic scale)...this PH5 (or rather PH5.5) is the goal of Steve in his post

So...i have to hold on to my second question above...does the acid rain trigger something that the cacti love, thus it grows?

I found this article, 2003, by Prof White of Oxford Univ. You can download it here.

I quote...
1) Ecologists have classified plant species into calcifuges, which occur on acid soils with low Ca, and calcicoles, which occur on calcareous soils.

2) Nevertheless, calcifuges generally grow well at low Ca2+ concentrations in the rhizosphere ([Ca2+]ext) and respond little to increased [Ca2+]ext, which may even inhibit growth (Fig. 2).

3) Conversely, the mechanisms that enable calcicole plants to maintain low [Ca2+]cyt in their natural habitat are believed to restrict their growth at low [Ca2+]ext by inducing Ca‐deficiency (Fig. 2; Lee, 1999).
Now, #1 is easy to understand
#2 wants to say that the calcium-hater might be stunted it's growth in the calcareous soil
#3 is somewhat "grey" to me...because i'am not a botanist (i have a bachelor degree in electrical engineering) and he uses astronaut words while i'am merely an elementary student

But let's see this graph (i'am good at reading graph 😁)
Screenshot_2020-01-31-07-57-59-1.png
Screenshot_2020-01-31-07-57-59-1.png (124.21 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
It is said in that upper graph that the Calcium-lover indeed have an increase dried weight (ie. It grows) in the mixture with higher calcium consentration. Calcium-lover here is represented by Origanum vulgare (filled square in the graph)
And the lower graph tells us that the shoot Ca celular consentration increases as the Ca mixture consentration is increased (ie. It really sucks that Ca2+ into it's cells for growing - it's dry weight increaces) and it collapses completely when the environmental Ca2+ consentration is lower than 0.8 milliMolar

Combined reading of both graphs would be, as the "blood" Ca2+ consentration increases (lower graph), the Calcium-lover gains a body weight, whereas the Calcium-hater plummet to their death (upper graph)

All in all, both graphs tell us that the Calcium-lover needs the calcium from the habitat for it's growth

So in the light of this article and the fact that acid rain/water disolves calcium salt (ie. Limestone in the habitat) into Ca2+, ready to be uptaken by the roots, i return to your previous quote
DaveW wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:11 pm The alternative explanation was one given by a Brazilian Botanist who said that cacti growing on alkaline rocks (1) only grew when acid rain fell and they stopped growing again (2) once the rocks turned the water alkaline.
1)That cacti grow because of the environmental consentration of Ca2+ is augmented during the acid rain...thus it grows!
Not because the cacti love acidity, rather than alkalinity...in fact, it loves, it needs alkalinity as the graph shows us

2) If cacti had grown due to environmental acidity, mexican desert would have had to take much higher precipitation in order to do that (not just 235mm annually). There has never been a changing of PH in the mexican desert. It has always been alkaline despite the presence of acidic rain. The rocks turns that small amount of acidic rain into alkaline water in seconds by releasing tons of ions Ca2+ tout de suite. It is impossible that the cacti only grow during that 1 or 2 seconds...
Hey...i read that article a few weeks ago 😁
I dont pretend to have the explanation for someone else's experience

But i think what Elton and Malcolm had, was their acidified water melted down some of the bicarbonate salts, made it ready for the root to uptake, in the form of Ca2+

I agreed that bicarbonate salt can build-up around the root, forming some crust, thus choking the root
Their acidified water melts this crust and the cactus grows again

====================

Now, i did say that I agree of using acidified water for cacti
And in fact...i already bought some citric acid for the cause
But I'am reluctant to do it...
rsz_20200131_090550.jpg
rsz_20200131_090550.jpg (60.14 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
Because i think there are enough disolved ion Ca2+ in my tap water
I don't need to "melt" some from my limestone chips
Further more, as Dave has said, my osmocote has done it's job

And the saying of "dont fix what isnt broken" keeps circling in my mind...
Since my L. principis is doing fine in the current treatment...i'am holding myself from using acidified water...

====================
DaveW wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:11 pm Also another thing I read was somebody as an experiment tried growing some Chilean cacti in both peat based soils and mineral ones. The ones in the peat based mixture produced far more top growth, but a more fibrous root system. However those in the mineral mixture a lot less top growth but a much better tuberous root system, just as in habitat. You can see why Dutch growers grow them in peat therefore since they get paid for top growth that can be seen, not roots unless they are selling carrots!
I have had a bad experience with peat based mixture
Only after i had cleaned that black sticky soil off the root, that the yellowing tip stoped spreading

My experience above is similar to the one from this site

I quote
Ariocarpus hate peat and similarly based composts as a long term growing medium, particularly in maturity. Although they may seem to do well in it for a short time the ultimate result will be poor root structures, loss of roots and generally unhealthy looking plants - this is very obvious in A. trigonus as the tubercle tips yellow and die back.
I dont say that this site is corect though
I only say that my experience was similar to his and his solution (along with Steve's) helped me

So, i would not dare to use any peat mixture anymore
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Whether peat is good for long term culture of course does not matter to a commercial plant raiser if they require quick plants for sale. Presumably the buyer will repot in their own mix anyway. So as long as they grow well up to the point of sale that's OK. Generally speaking it is not the plant raiser that cannot grow the plants in peat, but the store or retailer that cannot and so keeps them dry and in poor light conditions before you get them.

The fact peat based composts work for Dutch cactus raising is indisputable or they would go out of business and they do it on a large scale. Note the automation at the end of this video:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JdGny9_bjM

Some nurseries use the old gardeners trick to to grow normal plants of constantly potting on into the next sized slightly larger pot, which may mean the plants get potted in fresh soil a couple of times a year, even cacti. Therefore the peat mixes do not get time to become exhausted. I know an English Nursery that does this and they grow great cacti and pretty fast for our conditions.

The problem is there have been few scientific trials to see which soil is best for cacti and none may be universally best for all cacti. Again what are you after? Habitat type tight growth, or fastest growth which can become a little bloated producing plants far larger than would ever be seen in habitat and are often seen winning prizes on show benches?

For a proper trial you would probably need at least 10 plants of the same species, 5 control in one soil mix and 5 in the new mix you were trying to see which was best. When it comes to the difficult cacti we would like to know how to cultivate few have 10 plants of the species the same size to try, plus the soil is only part of the cultivation since then climate (temperature), watering frequency and dates when watering starts and finishes come into the equation.

In the end it still comes down to what works for you in spite of all the theory.

Don't forget though usually not wanting our potted cactus roots to stay wet, cacti too can even be grown hydroponically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uH_-IUxmQw

Mineral mixes are in fact to a greater or lesser extent growing semi-hydroponically since the more extreme virtually just hold the plant up and the fertiliser in the water provides all the nourishment for the plant. I believe even small plastic beads have been used as a substrate for some plants.

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33894
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

jp29 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:26 am I bought my first ever cactus in Northern England during the summer of 1939 (just before the outbreak of WWII).
Dear Sir,
If you are still here with us, please accept my deepest regards *bows*
You are truly a legend
K.W. wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:02 pm I was skeptical and actually hostile.
All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed;
Second, it is violent opposed;
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
(Arthus Schopenhauer)
Just an info
These links are already dead
ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:14 pm Some growers over here would keep sensitive plants in a pot and then bury the pot in the bed when the weather is warm. In winter, you can remove the pot and place it in shelter.
OFTEN, the simplest idea escapes my mind
Thanks for sharing
DaveW wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:16 am Whether peat is good for long term culture of course does not matter to a commercial plant raiser if they require quick plants for sale. Presumably the buyer will repot in their own mix anyway. So as long as they grow well up to the point of sale that's OK. Generally speaking it is not the plant raiser that cannot grow the plants in peat, but the store or retailer that cannot and so keeps them dry and in poor light conditions before you get them.

The fact peat based composts work for Dutch cactus raising is indisputable or they would go out of business and they do it on a large scale. Note the automation at the end of this video:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JdGny9_bjM

Some nurseries use the old gardeners trick to to grow normal plants of constantly potting on into the next sized slightly larger pot, which may mean the plants get potted in fresh soil a couple of times a year, even cacti. Therefore the peat mixes do not get time to become exhausted. I know an English Nursery that does this and they grow great cacti and pretty fast for our conditions.
Oh...so that's why the seller always use the sticky black soil
I was wondering, why did they always use it...

Thanks Dave for the revelation

And wow...that youtube blows my mind Dave
They plants cacti using robots
Their video is similar to Ubink's that you had shared before

How does the robots make their cacti price?...are they cheaper (do to mass production) or more expensive (do to high operational cost)
Here...rainbow cactus (red, yellow, pink gymno on stock) is 60bath (~$2)...and theirs?
DaveW wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:16 am Again what are you after? Habitat type tight growth, or fastest growth which can become a little bloated producing plants far larger than would ever be seen in habitat and are often seen winning prizes on show benches?
The 1st one, Dave

I read it in this article "stone eater" that bloated cactus is weaker than the normal one...

I quote
Screenshot_2020-02-01-16-51-11-1.png
Screenshot_2020-02-01-16-51-11-1.png (245.96 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
Is it true, Dave?
DaveW wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:16 am Mineral mixes are in fact to a greater or lesser extent growing semi-hydroponically since the more extreme virtually just hold the plant up and the fertiliser in the water provides all the nourishment for the plant.
Yes...
As JP had told us below, in his link
jp29 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:02 pm They are are cultivated as described here: http://jp29.org/brculthydro.htm
Thanks Dave

Regards,
EDWIN
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Nobody seems to have mechanised horticulture like the Dutch Edwin. I presume the original cost must be eventually covered by the labour they save. Of course labour saving versus most automation applies more in dearer labour countries, if labour is cheap then hi tech automation has a job to financially compete.

Evidently it's not just the Dutch that use peat based composts for their plants, some of the American suppliers do too, as some of the video's show.

For horticultural automation see:-

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... automation

Edit: I notice in the video's the peat used in both the American and Dutch systems was quite fibrous. However when we get the plants in the stores it has now broken down to more like black soil, so maybe such commercial peat composts only have a certain lifespan before they denature? In the past plants in organic media used to be re-potted every year anyway since the soil was exhausted of nutrients, therefore the plants in peat probably reach the stores when they are ready for a re-pot?

Had a look on the Web to see if there was any information on the Commercial peat mixes, but only found these:-

http://www.dutchgrowers.com/pro-mix-cactus-mix-5l.html

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9d6d/7 ... e62ff4.pdf
7george

Post by 7george »

Even in desert habitats cacti grow not in pure mineral soils as you can see below. But that soil there is really wet just a few days in a year. So you have to decide what cultivation technique works better for you: using mineral mixes and constantly adding nutrients into the water or adding some %ge of organics when repotting. I don't believe all and most cacti in collection can dissolve rocks and show satisfactional growth and flourishing.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As George says there is obviously some organic nutrients returned to desert soils from dead plants over the centauries. However in dry climates they don't rot, but dry out and turn to dust. The dead cacti in the Atacama, Chile, looked just like somebody had burnt them rather than the type of rot we see in wetter places, with their nutrients being returned to the soil just like ash, as you can see from the white around the plant in the bottom picture:-

0119.jpg
0119.jpg (180.68 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
0120.jpg
0120.jpg (186.13 KiB) Viewed 2988 times

Of course for plants growing on rocks it will depend how much filters down into the cracks and how much gets blown off into less rocky areas. However it is unlikely cacti grow in many areas that have not received some kind of organic nutrients over the centauries. In cultivation these need to be provided by fertilizers for purely mineral soils.

I think this was the scientific paper on cacti using bacteria to degrade rocks the "Stone Eaters" was probably based on.

Regarding the so called "Stone Eaters" that raises the question do our cultivated cacti have those bacteria, or do they already exist on the rocks themselves?

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/959f/4 ... c742c4.pdf
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Edwindwianto wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:18 am I read it in this article "stone eater" that bloated cactus is weaker than the normal one...

I quote

Is it true, Dave?
Hi Dave,

Just in case that you missed my question
Or, does anybody have some experience with this statement?

Thanks for sharing

Regards
EDWIN
7george

Post by 7george »

I have no doubts that naturally grown cacti are healthier and in better condition than forced to grow in commercial and other GHs and kept under plastic or glass, also over-watered and overfed to speed up growth... But, can anyone here show as some potted cacti & succulents grown successfully for years in pure rock mixes and rain/snow-watered?
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
7george

Post by 7george »

DaveW wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:56 am ===
Regarding the so called "Stone Eaters" that raises the question do our cultivated cacti have those bacteria, or do they already exist on the rocks themselves?

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/959f/4 ... c742c4.pdf
The article says these bacteria come from seeds. But we often sterilize our seeds before seeding and also do same with soils we change. The same probably do commercial nurseries we buy plants from. So to use the described method of "stone culture" we should have some (or all 20 species) to implant into our mix and then to look for results. Also we have to know which species are able to use bacteria to dissolve rocks, so far we have Pachycereus pringlei and Tillandsia recurvata in our list and maybe some others in other articles cited.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

7george wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:06 pm But that soil there is really wet just a few days in a year.
According to wiki and this site....
The area of Chihuahuan desert = 362.000 km2
The precipitation annually = 235mm
The average temp = 24 degC (same as Bkk, where i live)
Amount of rainy days annually = 58 days

In math point of view
According to this site...
1mm precipitation = represends 1liter of rain per m2

So...235mm annually = 235 liter annually for an area of 362.000.000.000 m2
So...per m2 annually = 235 liter annually/362.000.000.000 m2 = 0.0000000006 liter annually/m2
That will be = 6 liter annually/km2

That 6 liter is the amount of rain per km2, per year, which is collected during 58 days of rain yearly
So, how much liter of rain per day?...6 liter/km2 : 58 days = 0.1 liter/km2 daily

in my experience point of view
I have to pour a good amount of water for my pot of (10x10x10)cm3, until the water runs through the drain hole of my pot...
When i do that on Saturday morning, the substrate always become bone dry at Thursday morning/afternoon = given or take 5-6 days

Let's say, i use a glass of water (200cc ~ 0.2 liter) for an area of (10x10)cm2, that is (1x10^-8)km2 >>> 0.2 liter/(1x10^-8)km2 = (2x10^7) liter/km2 = 20.000.000 liter/km2

Because Chihuahuan desert have the same average temp as Bangkok, i can conclude that i need to pour 20.000.000 liter of water per km2 in Chihuahuan desert, every Saturday, in order to have the same effect (5-6 days of wet soil)

How do you recon will it last, if it only 0.1liter/km2 of water is poured daily?

I dont think it will be really wet for a few days in a year even though you pour that amount daily (not just every Saturday morning)
7george wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:50 pm I have no doubts that naturally grown cacti are healthier and in better condition than forced to grow in commercial and other GHs and kept under plastic or glass, also over-watered and overfed to speed up growth...
Thanks George for your comment
I think i'am agree with you although idk the real truth
7george wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:50 pm But, can anyone here show as some potted cacti & succulents grown successfully for years in pure rock mixes and rain/snow-watered?
Hmmm...

The article by Prof White in this post, doesnt show us whether or not canti need organic matter.
It shows us whether or not cacti need alkalinity (ion Ca2+)
It shows us that cacti indeed absorb ion Ca2+ from the habitat for gaining body weight
That's why i use limestones in my substrate

Long before i bought my 1st cactus 2 months ago, i had read a few source from the internet that decomposing organic matter in the substrate is the source of deseases, pest infestation, fungus, rot etc
That was true when i still played with Nepenthes in 2012 when all my substrate were organic matter
I had to battle many problems...at the very least, ants that were eventually nesting inside the substrate no matter what i did

That's why when i bought my first cactus, i decided tout de suite to use pure mineral soil, without having to ask in this forum
- is my soil composition right?
- what type of soil should i use?
- etc

I knew from the very 1st time that i should give it a try, the mineral soil
I didnt want to touch the organic matter

BUT, I am agree that in the habitat, there are also organic matter where cacti grow
That's why i use osmocote to feed my cacti

My goal is to eliminate the source of sickness while still be able to feed my cacti as i have stated in this post

So, to answer your question...i my self are not 100% sure that cacti could live on rock alone...

============

Further more, that also raises a question in my head...
Why would anybody use organic mix and then STILL adding tomato fertilizer in every watering?
I dont think that cacti need that much nutrient, dont you all agree?
I mean, that organic matter is enough...just like in the wild...
Last edited by Edwindwianto on Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:59 am, edited 10 times in total.