Greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
floyd

Greenhouse

Post by floyd »

Does anyone have a source for a do it yourself greenhouse plan? Has anyone built one from scratch?
I have a small Northern Light Greenhouse and am wanting to build some type of extension to house my cactus collection which is continually growing. I recently bought 25 tempered glass sheets that are five feet long and twenty one inches wide...now to put it up!!
Lets Grow Cacti!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Floyd,
Here you go - 100% from scratch:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7420

This is your extreme budget version as I bought very little material. Most of the wood was laying in the old barn for years. The plastic sheeting came from my brother's construction days. (I think he has enough to build another 100 of these.)

Anyway, I would really like to replace the plastic sheeting with polycarbonate as seen here:

http://www.advancegreenhouses.com/twinw ... lycarb.htm

However, it would cost around $900 just to cover my little 8'x14'x8' structure! I may just do the roof as that needs the most strength.

Be happy to answer any questions about it that you might have.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
floyd

Post by floyd »

Thanks for your replies :thumbup: ......This is the type of info that I am looking for. My planned addition will tax my carpentry skills as we are in a high wind area and also below freezing temps in the wintertime. :study: I will have a lot to learn as I progress but I feel confident that I can ask for help here and allways get help.
Lets Grow Cacti!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Floyd,
Wind is a problem for me because I use flexible plastic sheeting. But if you go with a material that is more rigid, that will add an incredible amount of strength to the whole thing. I have been thinking about doing this with mine over time as it can get expensive fast!

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti