Mother of hundreds...

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mrs.Green

Mother of hundreds...

Post by Mrs.Green »

I saw this post on reddit. The poster claims that this cactus produces between 80 and 100 pups each year. It’s seems a lot, is this really possible? Even if it was grafted?

https://www.reddit.com/r/cactus/comment ... vichii_cv/
7george

Re: Mother of hundreds...

Post by 7george »

Maybe in tropical conditions....
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Looks and sounds like poster lives somewhere in South-East Asia... They promice much… ;)
These colour forms grow on own roots slowly but usually grafting on strong stock provides a burst of sprouting. It depends but I don't like excessive proliferation and regulary take "pups" away. It's very wanted if you have commercial purposes.

PS Mrs.Green I don't sure that my messages have passed to your post box, can you check it? Anyway I see them in "Outbox" but dont see in "Sent".
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

There are proliferous forms of some cacti. There is a thin line between being a proliferous form and what we would call a monstrose form.

http://llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/Fa ... ed%20habit.

Some offset from almost every areole.

https://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CAC ... _prolifera

With something like Opuntia tuna monstrosa you may be able to take off and root 100 pups a year if you denuded it.

https://www.mahlakasplants.com/shop/p/o ... ical-stems

Removing pups or offsets from a plant does not change a plant from an abnormal proliferous form into a more normal one. If you want a normal clone you need to buy or seed raise one and not try and convert a proliferous one. However some cacti are normally clump forming so removing offsets to keep these as single stems is simply itself producing an abnormal representative of that species.

As Antticepp indicates, unfortunately we have excessively proliferous clones of some species in cultivation which are quite untypical of the species in habitat. Simply because it was easier for nurserymen to take off and root down offsets from unduly proliferous clones than raise normal plants from seed, which is how they normally propagate in habitat. However removing offsets from a proliferous clone will never turn it into the typical habitat form, only seed raised plants, provided they are not hybridised, or the offsets off a normally offsetting form can be relied on to maintain their habitat form.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

7george wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:53 pm Maybe in tropical conditions....
Thank you 7george :)

anttisepp wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:20 am Looks and sounds like poster lives somewhere in South-East Asia... They promice much… ;)
These colour forms grow on own roots slowly but usually grafting on strong stock provides a burst of sprouting. It depends but I don't like excessive proliferation and regulary take "pups" away. It's very wanted if you have commercial purposes.

PS Mrs.Green I don't sure that my messages have passed to your post box, can you check it? Anyway I see them in "Outbox" but dont see in "Sent".
Thank you Anttisepp :) Ah, I see.. :wink: Yes, I can see the business advantages of having a plant that produces lots of offsets.

Thank you very much! :D Your messages have gone trough ( dated yesterday) and I have answered :)
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

DaveW wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:38 am There are proliferous forms of some cacti. There is a thin line between being a proliferous form and what we would call a monstrose form.

http://llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/Fa ... ed%20habit.

Some offset from almost every areole.

https://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CAC ... _prolifera

With something like Opuntia tuna monstrosa you may be able to take off and root 100 pups a year if you denuded it.

https://www.mahlakasplants.com/shop/p/o ... ical-stems

Removing pups or offsets from a plant does not change a plant from an abnormal proliferous form into a more normal one. If you want a normal clone you need to buy or seed raise one and not try and convert a proliferous one. However some cacti are normally clump forming so removing offsets to keep these as single stems is simply itself producing an abnormal representative of that species.

As Antticepp indicates, unfortunately we have excessively proliferous clones of some species in cultivation which are quite untypical of the species in habitat. Simply because it was easier for nurserymen to take off and root down offsets from unduly proliferous clones than raise normal plants from seed, which is how they normally propagate in habitat. However removing offsets from a proliferous clone will never turn it into the typical habitat form, only seed raised plants, provided they are not hybridised, or the offsets off a normally offsetting form can be relied on to maintain their habitat form.
Thank you very much DaveW for your interesting answer :) I must say that they named some of these clones very aptly.. ‘proliferous’ and ‘multiprolifeous’..
7george

Post by 7george »

I guess these pups work for grafting over Hylocereus very well preserving the clone as well.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Mrs.Green wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:59 am It’s seems a lot, is this really possible? Even if it was grafted?
Aswering specifically to this question, I think is it very much possible, but in my opinion, this is the case of a grafted plant.
Some of my grafted plants, the ones who adapted best to their grafted stocks, might give that many pups too.
Bruno
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Brunãozinho wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:19 am
Mrs.Green wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:59 am It’s seems a lot, is this really possible? Even if it was grafted?
Aswering specifically to this question, I think is it very much possible, but in my opinion, this is the case of a grafted plant.
Some of my grafted plants, the ones who adapted best to their grafted stocks, might give that many pups too.
Thank you Brunâozinho :)