Confused Melo. matanzanus?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
From0to10in2weeks

Confused Melo. matanzanus?

Post by From0to10in2weeks »

Hi,

I purchased this Melocactus matanzanus in late October 2020. In December, I was surprised to see that it was pushing out fruit. Then again in January and another push came in early February. Then, on February 13th I discovered a flower. And it's been producing flowers every few days since. And it is pushing out another 5-6 fruits currently... Is that normal for this time of year?

This photo is from February 17th, 2021:
11_IMG_5217.jpg
11_IMG_5217.jpg (212.99 KiB) Viewed 594 times

The pot is located on the window sill of a southeast facing window. In addition, it's been under a grow light since December. Temperature in the shade on that window sill in the past months varied between 16 C at night to 22 C during a few sunny days. Note, I've watered this plant every 2 weeks with 30 ml of water throughout winter. On February 13th I sprayed it for the first time. Could that have triggered the flowering?

Thanks. Best.
anttisepp

Re: Confused Melo. matanzanus?

Post by anttisepp »

Melocacti are tropical plants growing and flowering throughout whole the year.
From0to10in2weeks

Re: Confused Melo. matanzanus?

Post by From0to10in2weeks »

anttisepp wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:42 am Melocacti are tropical plants growing and flowering throughout whole the year.
Thanks for the quick response! I guess llife is wrong then with:

"Blooming season: The flowers arise annually in mid summer from the cephalium in a ring."
From: http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... matanzanus

Good to know! Thanks.
Best.