parodia werneri possibly?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
christ_hears

parodia werneri possibly?

Post by christ_hears »

Am I close?
Attachments
20201206_112620.jpg
20201206_112620.jpg (103.59 KiB) Viewed 705 times
"Beauty is often hidden behind a veil of ugly"
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Re: parodia werneri possibly?

Post by Steve-0 »

My first thought was Gymno. baldianum.....but I've guessed wrong more times than right
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Think it maybe one of the Gymnocalycioide Notocactus now lumped into Parodia. So called because they looked rather like Gymnocalycium's in body form. The most common now is Parodia werneri = Notocactus uebelmannianus, but the flower will decide. If P. werneri = N. uebelmannianus it will have a purple flower, if one of the others it will be yellow. If a Notocactus/Parodia it will have bristles/hairs on the flower tube, if a Gymnocalycium it will have a naked flower tube.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

christ_hears wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:35 pm Am I close?
Yes, I think you are. If it's not P. werneri, it's a very similar looking species. Flowers next year will help the id, as ever.

Gymno. baldianum tends to have a naked crown with more angular tubercles, the Parodia crown has a lot of white wool/felt on the new areoles and rounded bumps.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

"Gymno. baldianum tends to have a naked crown"....yep, just looked at my Gymno. Bal and sure enough the crown is as naked as a jaybird.

Steve - who's learning all about cacti....one wrong guess at a time. #-o :roll: :lol: :mrgreen: