Dormancy: Indoors or Unheated Garage

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Old Lefty

Dormancy: Indoors or Unheated Garage

Post by Old Lefty »

We just received an E.ingens cactus, seed grown from a nursery in Tucson, AZ.
My guess is that it’s about 6 - 7 years old and spent its entire time in AZ. Since we live on the
East coast (NJ) this will be the first time that it will be in a much colder climate.
I have it repotted for now in an inorganic substrate mix of crushed granite and pumice, I have
NOT watered it because I suspected it was into dormancy when I received it.
The question now is, do I keep the cactus indoors for the winter at a temperature of 68F (20c)
or slowly acclimate it in the unheated garage before the weather turns extreme?
Please keep in mind that it has spent its entire time in a much warmer climate.
Appreciate your thoughts!
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Re: Dormancy: Indoors or Unheated Garage

Post by Steve-0 »

Here's a bit of info from Llifle: Frost tender but resistant to -4°C for short periods; Cold hardiness increases with improved drainage, so keep plants as dry as possible in winter. They grow best in well-drained soil and a position in full sun, which will help to maintain the lustre of the spines and longevity of the flowers. Provide the plant with extremely well-drained soils, as the plant are subject to crown and soft rot if it remains too moist. Besides, it performs wonderfully in containers, Container media should be coarse as well. Young plants are prone to mealy bug and red spider mite.

Hope this helps some. I bring my large Ech grusonii indoors each winter and set it in front of a south facing window. Nearing ten years of survival under my care. Though I've both frost and sun burned it....ooops!
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Ingens is much more sensible to cold than grusonii IMHO. My E grusonii spends winter on garage shelves near floor with other ferocacti and ingens & co on the upper shelves with Fero. latispinus and schwarzii etc.
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

anttisepp wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:44 am Ingens is much more sensible to cold than grusonii IMHO. My E grusonii spends winter on garage shelves near floor with other ferocacti and ingens & co on the upper shelves with Fero. latispinus and schwarzii etc.
Interesting that you both mentioned storing cactus in garages over winter.

Are these garages similar to mine? Cold, DARK, and smell of automotive fumes?

Is the purpose to simulate a cold dark winter climate to ensure blooming next year?

Newbie doesn't know why they should be in the cold dark 24/7 for several months. :-k :? :?:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

A cool place is what you want. Dark isn't ideal, but it's not a big problem as long as the plants are dormant. Better to have them in a cool place with good light, but if you don't have that a cool, dark place will do.
Spence :mrgreen:
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

greenknight wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:43 pm A cool place is what you want. Dark isn't ideal, but it's not a big problem as long as the plants are dormant. Better to have them in a cool place with good light, but if you don't have that a cool, dark place will do.
Okay, that makes more sense to me. Cool happens outdoors normally with seasonal changes....but dark?...at the polar regions, sure.
Not many cactus up or down there.

And I get it that living in northern or southern latitudes brings less daylight hours in winter...but I was thinking of my garage - just plain old dark 23.5 hours a day. Super hot ( south facing ) in the summer over 100F oftentimes and cold in winter down in the 20's F sometimes.

High mountain desert climate has those kinds of temp swings as the norm.

All my cactus indoors are in the house near windows in 68-72 F temps. They do fine but maybe I should put them in a cooler well lit room instead.

My alternate location - laundry room - with grow lights and a shelving unit has been commandeered by my wifey...now a humid hothouse growing veggies....kale smoothies, yum! :cry:
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

2 Steve-O I use art lights, it's enough for dormant plants but not for growing. So, not darkness. But one thing is amazing: many spring flowering cacti produce buds just in right time while all the winter temps and duration of light are absolutely the same. How do they feel coming spring outside the walls? :)
Steve-0

Post by Steve-0 »

Interesting ....must be down in the genes...hardwired in I suppose.
7george

Post by 7george »

Is the purpose to simulate a cold dark winter climate to ensure blooming next year?
No, I mentioned that cacti held in sunny (but not very warm) room whole winter bloom much better during next season. They probably still accumulate some sun energy even no signs of growth can be seen.

Regarding the initial question of the topic: It is not likely for the most mexican ball shaped cacti that these will try to grow at ~20 C maximums and maybe 15 - 16 C minimums at room conditions, just keep them dry. I would move cacti into a dark and cool/cold garage just in case if I absolutely have no appropriate space to park those into living area of the house. If you have some cool but lit room that will be the perfect spot.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Old Lefty

Post by Old Lefty »

thanks so much for all of the replies... appreciate greatly!

7george... my main concern regarding the newly acquired plant from AZ was that we are about to enter a rather cold period over the next four months and this particular plant has spent its entire time in a much warmer climate.

Thankfully we have not had any ‘extreme ‘ conditions yet. So it’s decision time soon.
Old Lefty

Post by Old Lefty »

The subject:
5A477A8C-F324-499D-95E3-71CBA15C9480.jpeg
5A477A8C-F324-499D-95E3-71CBA15C9480.jpeg (108.44 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Tucson gets cold temperatures in winter. I wouldn't worry so long as the minimum is above freezing and average temperatures are well above freezing.
https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/hi ... ca_5318313
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Old Lefty

Post by Old Lefty »

2 esp_imaging >>> many thanks for the link!
Old Lefty

Post by Old Lefty »

The weather here on the East coast has been almost Spring like... with afternoon temps in the low 70’s. Except for night time temps dropping into the low 40’s this weather for early to mid November is predicted to continue. The forecasts even call for temps on Sunday into Monday
(November 8th - 9th) to be into the high 70’s.

The small group of E.horizonthalonius, now dormant, will be outside for at least 4 - 5 hours or until the sun sets.

The question that comes to mind now, will this warm weather trigger a response...‘wake up’
call?
Please keep in mind that the last watering received was late September.

Thanks in advance!
* Bumped to ~ General discussion
7george

Post by 7george »

Old Lefty wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:26 am ... The forecasts even call for temps on Sunday into Monday
(November 8th - 9th) to be into the high 70’s.

The small group of E.horizonthalonius, now dormant, will be outside for at least 4 - 5 hours or until the sun sets.

The question that comes to mind now, will this warm weather trigger a response...‘wake up’
call?
No, 2 days are not enough for waking up. The length of the day is also important to keep them dormant.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8