Colors in Conophytum

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
schmiggle

Colors in Conophytum

Post by schmiggle »

Hi all, new member.

Comparing pictures of wild and cultivated Conophytum, it appears that at least some species at least sometimes have red, orange, or reddish-brown leaves in the wild. However, these species do not always exhibit these effects in cultivation.

Conophytum ficiforme
vs
Sometimes, of course, this plant is also green in the wild:

Conophytum brunneum:
vs
This one can also be brown in cultivation:

What causes these different colors? I have very limited experience with succulents, but carnivorous plants tend to color up in higher light--is that's what's happening here? Alternatively, I've read that stress can cause cacti and succulents to turn red--is it more like that?
Atozbotanicals

Re: Colors in Conophytum

Post by Atozbotanicals »

Yes it’s likely from stress of intense light. This will often cause darkened or color tinges in cacti and succulents.
17 year old Cactus enthusiast specializing in hard growing North American species.
gabby c

Post by gabby c »

Intense light can cause a plant to be more stressed, so the two factors aren't necessarily separate, but I do think it is mostly about the light availability here.
Panhandle of Florida 9a
cactuscoolcats

Post by cactuscoolcats »

Does anyone know what's actually happening within the plant at a chemical level that is causing the color change? Is it similar to how chlorophyll will break down at lower temperatures and cause the green color to leave leaves leaving less leaf looking colors?
schmiggle

Post by schmiggle »

cactuscoolcats wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:36 pm Does anyone know what's actually happening within the plant at a chemical level that is causing the color change? Is it similar to how chlorophyll will break down at lower temperatures and cause the green color to leave leaves leaving less leaf looking colors?
I believe it's the opposite process--plants produce stress chemicals on top of the chlorophyll that end up being more visible--because colored leaves are still photosynthetic.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

cactuscoolcats wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:36 pm Does anyone know what's actually happening within the plant at a chemical level that is causing the color change? Is it similar to how chlorophyll will break down at lower temperatures and cause the green color to leave leaves leaving less leaf looking colors?
Color "Green" appears green because the substance absorbs every other light wave but a wave length we call green and therefore reflects it back. With plants the green substance is chlorophyll which absorbs especially reds and violets. Some plants also have other substances in them, like carotenoids (which make carrots orange, paprikas red etc.) and anthocyanins (for example makes blueberries violet, strawberries and some flowers red) which reflect reds, yellows and oranges and absorb what is left in light.

It seems that the chlorophyll is most efficient in most cases all around a world when it comes to energy production and carotenoids in cases with strong sun light and it is believed to work as a sunscreen too, preventing the plant to absorb too much harmful UV-light. People get tanned in sun but the tan goes away after a while since it's not needed anymore. Maybe that goes with cacti too? If it's so, the plant has an ability to produce pigmentation but does not do it if it's not necessary.

What I found interesting is that the anthocyasins turn color if the pH in it's surrounding changes. Maybe it's the culprit of the stress related change of color in cacti and other plants? I could imagine stress causes changes in the plants acidity and that's why some might change color. If that's so, the anthocyasins could be around all the time but are not visible till certain times.

I tried to google deeper but couldn't find anything. What I think is the plants are not giving up their chlorophyll when they turn in color, the other substance just surpasses it. Breaking the chlorophyl and reconsrtucting it takes up energy and nutrients and I personally think the succulents and cacti which are basically living energy/nutrient storages are not very eagerly giving up with them. But who knows. Maybe they do.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

There was an article somewhere abiut gymnocalyciums and how they are governed by 2 molecules whise concentrations determine the color of the body. I'll try to find it again
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: