Help with identification, please!

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
muuku

Help with identification, please!

Post by muuku »

Hi, everyone! I have some cacti, one of which I received from a friend as a gift when it was a little 3 cm long branch. The original branch died because of the extended cold weather earlier this year, but it grew a lot of offsets. The thin cactus has four edges(?) of soft spines. The closest thing I could find online to what I have is Fairy Castle, and even that's not close. It's possible that the ones I have planted aren't old enough to identify properly, so sorry in advance! The second one is common enough and it seems to be under Mammillaria; I'd like to know what it is exactly, though. :D

(o´▽`o)
greenknight

Re: Help with identification, please!

Post by greenknight »

The second one is Mammillaria bocasana.
Spence :mrgreen:
teo

Post by teo »

Maybe Selenicereus validus for the first one (S. undatus is more common but it does not branch as much as a seedling)
lynn m

Post by lynn m »

l believe it is Hylocereus costaricensis.
muuku

Post by muuku »

greenknight wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:38 am The second one is Mammillaria bocasana.
Thank you so much!
(o´▽`o)
muuku

Post by muuku »

teo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:50 am Maybe Selenicereus validus for the first one (S. undatus is more common but it does not branch as much as a seedling)
It's not quite round enough to be S. validus I think... I looked up what S. undatus was and turns out it's a dragon fruit plant! I actually have a large one out front that's already borne fruit, but I didn't think that this was what its seedlings looked like. Thank you for the help!
(o´▽`o)
muuku

Post by muuku »

lynn m wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:12 am l believe it is Hylocereus costaricensis.
I think you're right! Pictures of seedlings for this dragon fruit plant look a lot like my cacti, so I'm hoping that these will grow to have flowers eventually. Thank you for the identification help.
(o´▽`o)
Gymnocal

Post by Gymnocal »

I have a H. undulatus seedling that look exactly like the first one, branches out similar too.