how to not grow cianobacteries!?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Gustavo Augusto Rosa

how to not grow cianobacteries!?

Post by Gustavo Augusto Rosa »

hi friends, i sowing here in brazil,much light and heat,and always i get some colognes of cianobacterias,this is a mess in my seedling plate! Help!!! any sugestion!?
WHAT WRONG IM STILL DOING?

Https://www.raizamagarden.com.br
Captura de Tela 2018-03-04 às 01.54.31.png
Captura de Tela 2018-03-04 às 01.54.31.png (338.98 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
Captura de Tela 2018-03-04 às 01.59.01 cópia.jpg
Captura de Tela 2018-03-04 às 01.59.01 cópia.jpg (170.22 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
Captura de Tela 2018-03-04 às 01.59.14 cópia.jpg
Captura de Tela 2018-03-04 às 01.59.14 cópia.jpg (91.36 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
Captura de Tela 2018-03-04 às 01.58.48 cópia.jpg
Captura de Tela 2018-03-04 às 01.58.48 cópia.jpg (110.26 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
Last edited by Gustavo Augusto Rosa on Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gustavo Augusto Rosa

Re: how to not grow cianobacteries!?

?
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Honestly, I've had the same problem even after microwaving and/or putting my soil through the oven before I sow anything (which are two methods you can try). I think they're actually slime molds though, and, unless they start covering seedlings, the seedlings seem to grow just fine.

I agree that it is an eyesore at times, but, your seedlings should be fine for most cases
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I think peroxide helps
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Gustavo Augusto Rosa

hydrogen peroxide? and will not burn the seedling? how much the volume of the hydrogen peroxide?
Gustavo Augusto Rosa

gemhunter178 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:18 am Honestly, I've had the same problem even after microwaving and/or putting my soil through the oven before I sow anything (which are two methods you can try). I think they're actually slime molds though, and, unless they start covering seedlings, the seedlings seem to grow just fine.

I agree that it is an eyesore at times, but, your seedlings should be fine for most cases
one friend told me that maybe is to much material organic and much light, he told me to try to germinate in the sand and half dark! :-k
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Gustavo Augusto Rosa wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:54 am one friend told me that maybe is to much material organic and much light, he told me to try to germinate in the sand and half dark! :-k
For some seeds I've used a sifted perlite as a top dressing- the mold still grows, though it's slower and not quite in clumps. As for germinating in the dark - make sure the seedlings sprout in good light conditions so they don't get burned when you move them. Before they sprout, I don't know how/if that would work.

Like to note that the mold didn't really affect my seedlings again... so- I'd say go for what is the best for the seedlings
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The green slime doesn't hurt the seedlings, don't worry about it.
Spence :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Gustavo Augusto Rosa wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:50 am hydrogen peroxide? and will not burn the seedling? how much the volume of the hydrogen peroxide?
Yes hydrogen peroxide. The diluted ones they sell at the pharmacy. I spray it on my seeds and on the ground around my seedlings. Never harmed any of them
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Gustavo Augusto Rosa

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:07 pm
Gustavo Augusto Rosa wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:50 am hydrogen peroxide? and will not burn the seedling? how much the volume of the hydrogen peroxide?
Yes hydrogen peroxide. The diluted ones they sell at the pharmacy. I spray it on my seeds and on the ground around my seedlings. Never harmed any of them
ok thanks,i will try!
lynn m

Post by lynn m »

I have found that the greenish/brown slime is very attractive to fungus gnats and they will destroy whole pots full of
seedlings. they eat the roots or hollow out the seedlings. I have had some success spraying pots with insecticide then top dressing the pots with a deep layer of napa 8822 to prevent the gnats laying more eggs.