ID please, I think a Saguaro

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Jackc1

ID please, I think a Saguaro

Post by Jackc1 »

I think it's a Saguaro. It was grown from seed collected in a desert in the US SW by a colleague of my dad.

About 30cm tall.

At the mo, I'm giving it a water every 10 days. The soil is bone dry after one or two with the heat (evening temps around 20c, the room it's it hits the 30s during the day)

Apparently the base has looked like that for a few years, unsure if it's old damage or corking?

I've read these can take a decade from seed to an inch high, so reckon it's 20 to 30 years old, if it's what I think it is.

Thoughts?
ElieEstephane

Re: ID please, I think a Saguaro

Post by ElieEstephane »

Looks like polaskia chende to me
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Obviously it's just been sprayed, so that alters and intensifies the apparent spine colour to that when dry. Base just looks like normal corking as the plant ages, some plants develop it earlier than others even for the same species.

Wrong locality for Polaskia Elieestaphane since his dad collected in in the USA therefore we know it's habitat and Polaskia is Mexican:-

"Polaskia (named after American amateur Charles Polaski) is a genus of tree-like cacti reaching 4–5 m high, comprising 2 species. Both present primitive characteristics, but Polaskia chichipe is nearer to Myrtillocactus while Polaskia chende is nearer to Stenocereus. The genus is found in the Mexican states of Puebla and Oaxaca."
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

DaveW wrote: Wrong locality for Polaskia Elieestaphane since his dad collected in in the USA therefore we know it's habitat and Polaskia is Mexican:-
I only say that because i have several polaskia chende plants that look very very similar in terms of areoles, spines, color and "wavy" ribs between areoles.
But of course i could be (very) wrong :D
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Jackc1

Post by Jackc1 »

Yes, it had been sprayed. Here's a pic of it dry
rtb1980

Post by rtb1980 »

I'm pretty sure it is a Saguaro. BTW, Saguaros are very slow growers but Saguaros that receive more water, will grow faster than one in the desert. Or so I've read. I'll try to find a link to the article.
:arrow: Cactus Videos - Please Subscribe :)
Jackc1

Post by Jackc1 »

Are these fairly common / desirable for people to grow (outside of the US), or is the slow growing considered a downside? I'd guess not commercially viable for a nursery?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

They say the first hundred years is the slowest for a Saguaro, but may grow quicker in cultivation! :D

"By 70 years of age, a saguaro cactus can reach 6 and a half feet tall, and will finally start to produce their first flowers."

https://www.nps.gov/orpi/learn/nature/s ... cactus.htm

However don't despair, see the difference cultivation and watering can produce, since one of our British Cactus & Succulent Society members Derek Bowdery has grown one from seed and has now flowered it in around 45 years in sunless old UK, but it is bedded in and not in a pot, which would obviously "bonsai" it and slow it's growth:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... orths.html
Jackc1

Post by Jackc1 »

Hahahaha
I've no problem with a slow grower, if anything it's something to be proud of.
As long as I reach old age, I should get to see it flower and maybe even branch.