Couple of IDs please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
IanFrance

Couple of IDs please

Post by IanFrance »

The first one has grown from a little button sized plant I picked up three years ago and has now flowered. It looks like a Parodia.
Parodia flowers
Parodia flowers
Parodia top.JPG (38.65 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Parodia plant
Parodia plant
Parodia side.JPG (49.53 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
The second one gave me a lot of trouble. When I got it home from the shop, I found the root system had completely rotted away. It spent the next year as a rootless blob sitting on coarse sand. It eventually rooted and has now produced two growing centres, but grows very slowly. It looks as if it might be a Mammillaria. Any ideas?
Mammillaria?
Mammillaria?
Mammillaria.JPG (53.42 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Many thanks,

Ian.
DaveW

Re: Couple of IDs please

Post by DaveW »

First one is Notocactus submammulosus, now "lumped" under Notocactus mammulosus and renamed Parodia mammulosa.

In latin botanical names the gender of the ending of the species is changed to match that of the genus it is placed in, therefore Notocactus mammulosus becomes Parodia mammulosa.
Mike

Post by Mike »

The second looks a bit like offsets of Cochemiea (some say Mammillaria) poselgeri. who knows til it grows more. I have had one for 9 years without blooming!
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Second is a Thelocactus rinconensis form.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
vlani

Post by vlani »

First one was known as Notocactus turecheki. It is very distinct form of N.mammillosus
The second one is Fero suniatus I think, young and not formed yet
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I think that's the normal common N. submammulosus Vlani. N. turececkianus has even longer spines and is now usually considered a synonym of N. submammulosus, which in turn has now been "lumped" into N. mammulosus and then all into Parodia.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/NOTOCA ... kianus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?t=4364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Notocactus turecekianus form is far less common in cultivation than the old N. submammulosus which has been in cultivation far longer. You don't see N. turecekianus around much now either?