Cleistocactus

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mike

Cleistocactus

Post by Mike »

Hi

THis one is about 3 ft tall, 2 inches diameter. I assume Cleistocactus. looks sort of like tominensis or morawetzianus in the New Cactus Lexicon. Any thoughts,

thanks MIke
Attachments
ds 003.JPG
ds 003.JPG (37.18 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
ds 005.JPG
ds 005.JPG (45.09 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
Minime8484

Re: Cleistocactus

Post by Minime8484 »

VERY interesting plant! Definitely a Cleistocactus, but not sure which one. Doesn't look like my C. tominensis for sure (though mine is not yet flowering size).
I'd agree that C. morawetzianus seems closest, but the specimens of that species seem more spined than yours, and the body color of yours seems very distinctive with that blue-gray cast (or is that because of lighting?).

Do you know the provenance of the plant?

I'd be interested on others' opinions on the ID.
Whatever it is, it is a spectacular plant! Very jealous! If you obtained this from a nursery, would love to know where!
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Did just see this, which does seem to fit your plant fairly well:
http://www.cactuspro.com/photos/Cactace ... /4281.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike

Post by Mike »

thanks much,'
I did see that pic, and helped me think of that.

This was a freeby on the table at the club! Of course, most have little interest in these types, especially those that don't make good potted plants. I live in LA, and it is quite possible that this cutting is from the Huntington as sometimes extras are brought in when they cut some down. But I haven't seen C morawetzianus there, tho much is off the paths and unexplored!

Mike
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Mike wrote:This was a freeby on the table at the club!
AHHH! #-o
Congrats - You scored HUGE! :mrgreen:
Mike wrote:Of course, most have little interest in these types, especially those that don't make good potted plants.
They should all be drawn and quartered.

I'll check with John @ the Huntington and see if they have this species!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

C. morawetzianus is said to have remained the most primitive of the Cleistocactus group still looking more like some of the Cerei and your plant looks like it.

http://www.cacti.co.nz/index.php/libray ... awetzianus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike

Post by Mike »

I checked at HBG, they do have it from Abbey Gardens, but no location listed there. So maybe this is it.

thanks for all the help!