A troubled Euphorbia?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
MartinT

A troubled Euphorbia?

Post by MartinT »

I purchased this succulent back in December just before we had freezing temps and rain (Southern California). But over time this Euphorbia has had its stalks turn shades of purple in color. Then the stalks become brittle. I feel confident it's a Euphorbia because of the sap which is present until the stalks dry out. It was purchased in a large 20 gallon pot from a nursery in Piru. After the freeze it was moved closer to the house in a sunnier spot. With no improvement I thought perhaps it was receiving too much direct sunlight. I removed the healthier half of the stalks of the pot from one root ball and repotted into a smaller but accommodating pot. It still looks distressed in the new pot.

So my first question is what is it (see picture)? I thought it was Euphorbia Antisyphylitica or Candelilla. No one else thinks so but they can't tell me what it is either. :) Either way, I'm more concerned about what's wrong with it and what I can do to keep from losing it.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Martin
Attachments
20140209_122533.jpg
20140209_122533.jpg (77.61 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
20140209_122544.jpg
20140209_122544.jpg (64.42 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
Harriet

Re: A troubled Euphorbia?

Post by Harriet »

I don't know what it is. but it looks as much like Equisetum (Horse Tail) as Euphorbia!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Tony

Post by Tony »

My first impression is pedilanthus macrocarpus. but it appears to have large leaves still attached to it, so its got me stumped.
pedilanthus macrocarpus does not have such large leaves.
Perhaps some other species of pedilanthus... like P. bracteatus?
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

I'm going to be reckless and throw Ceropegia haygarthii into the mix. :P Ceropegia dichotoma was a thought too, but the leaves are way off. It's got me stumped too! :oops:
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
eduart

Post by eduart »

I'm for Ceropegia too... I'm on mobile now and can't have a good look... However, they also have a milky sap.
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Tony wrote:My first impression is pedilanthus macrocarpus. but it appears to have large leaves still attached to it, so its got me stumped.
pedilanthus macrocarpus does not have such large leaves.
Perhaps some other species of pedilanthus... like P. bracteatus?
My guess is pedilanthus too....bracteatus with those leaves sounds right.