A little rain

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
iann

A little rain

Post by iann »

The heatwave broke for a few days but then the monsoon moved back in. I gave some of my plants a wash to hold them through the heat. Echinocactus polycephalus spines feel lovely when they're wet, like velvet.
polycephalus-0801.jpg
polycephalus-0801.jpg (64.97 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
--ian
Eutow_Intermedium

Re: A little rain

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

It's been super hard for me being a gardener and allotment holder to keep all my crops alive in this heat. As fast as I watered my plants the 30 odd degree heat would dy the ground out again. Worst hit was the Pumpkins, squashes and corgettes. They were dropping fruits in the heat. I'm glad there has been some relief. The said plants have finaly produced enough leafage now to shield the ground , so they dont need watering so much and can romp away finaly.

I have'nt had one of these plants mtself , but I must say the bright pink/red agrees with me. And being a ferocactus it is living up to it's name of being ferocious. Does this plant have wavy ribs , or is that just because it has been so dry ?
iann

Post by iann »

The ribs are pretty straight when the plant is full. It is now about at the end of the hot dry period and is pretty wrinkled. It will fatten up a little between now and winter, then really fatten up at the end of winter.
--ian
iann

Post by iann »

Plumped up slightly from the rain. Ribs less wavy now:
polycephalus-0809.jpg
polycephalus-0809.jpg (99.73 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
And A fully plump ssp xeranthemoides, straight ribs, straight spines :lol:
xeranthemoides-0809.jpg
xeranthemoides-0809.jpg (87.19 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Interesting. I would expect that after a long winter dormancy, but not in mid summer. Something tells me I would quickly kill this species if I grew it. You completely hold out water on hot days?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

daiv wrote:Interesting. I would expect that after a long winter dormancy, but not in mid summer. Something tells me I would quickly kill this species if I grew it. You completely hold out water on hot days?
It stays dry for a period in late spring and early summer, regardless of temperature. If the weather is warm then it needs to dry out fast, but can suck up a little water over a day or so. It can stay wet when nights are cooler and days are not 16 hours of baking heat, but it seems to respond best when days are at least moderately warm. Or maybe it is just the sun it needs, which always leads to heat in the greenhouse.

I did lose one E. parryi seedling this summer. Generally this species seems more tolerant of summer water, so maybe it was just a freak accident.
--ian
Heather

Post by Heather »

That is a really lovely plant, Iann.