Trying to identify for months.. Kalanchoe?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
shashie88

Trying to identify for months.. Kalanchoe?

Post by shashie88 »

I'm totally out of my element here because I have no experience with identifying plants, but I think I've finally narrowed it down. My mom got this plant as a gift about a year ago, and she gave it to me in the summer. I've been trying to identify it since. She recently told me it had orange flowers on it when she received it.

Is this a kalanchoe of some sort? It also seems to resemble a hoya plant. Since this photo was taken 2 of the 3 plants in the pot have died. I can't remember how the first one died and the second one got mushy at the base and some of the stems turned black near their bases (too much water?). However, I was able to propagate one of the stems in the pot so now I've got two plants again along with a sprout that shot up about 2 weeks ago. Now that I know it's a succulent (I think ](*,) ) I have a much better idea of how to take care of it, but I want to know exactly what type of succulent it is so I can care for it properly. I think one of the problems is that the pot it came in doesn't have adequate drainage. If I repot, should I separate the two plants or repot them into the same pot? Or is it a matter of preference? And what size pot would you recommend? They're currently in a 9" pot.

Thanks very much!
Attachments
I hope this photo doesn't show up sideways - if so, I'm sorry!
I hope this photo doesn't show up sideways - if so, I'm sorry!
photo (1).JPG (155.83 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (145.52 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
shashie88

Re: Trying to identify for months.. Kalanchoe?

Post by shashie88 »

I just wanted to add that it's possible my mom was mistaken about it having orange flowers when she got it - she receives plants as gifts for just about every holiday so she may have gotten mixed up. I'm looking through the crassula genus right now and I see plants that slightly resemble it in that genus as well. Hmm..
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

It looks like Kalanchoe blossfeldiana, which can have orange flowers, as well as several other colors. Your preference as to potting together or separate. Sounds like you've figured out most of the basics to care for your plant! Good luck!
Rosemarie
shashie88

Post by shashie88 »

You know, I did think that it might be kalanchoe blossfeldiana, but in all the pictures I looked at the leaves were much more "scalloped" (dentate?) while the leaves on my plant are barely scalloped, if at all. Perhaps the leaves are still too young or there are varieties that have different leaves? I'm googling tons of pictures now and I do see some without the scalloped leaves. Great, so I spent months looking for a plant that just happens to be one of the most common succulents :p Oh well, I'm so glad to know it, anyway! Thanks very much!
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

Yes, they are variable. Doesn't help, I know! :P You're welcome!
Rosemarie
ocelot

Post by ocelot »

An etiolated jade plant (Crassula ovata)?