In-Ground Soil in a Pot

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
terrapin

In-Ground Soil in a Pot

Post by terrapin »

Hello!
I'm trying to grow a Echinopsis Lageniformis and I have this in-ground cactus soil here, and I was wondering if it's okay to use it in a pot instead of in the ground.

Here's more info about it:

Thank you
Daniel

Re: In-Ground Soil in a Pot

Post by Daniel »

I think that you are better off not using it, it sounds way too rich and with a "Wetting agent" I reckon that soil would rot the plant within a month. For pots you are best off using grit, gravel, pumice etc... Hope this helps. :)
-Daniel

Aquatic technician at Maidenhead Aquatics, Windsor.
I like the South Americans. Cacti that is...
Sutremaine

Post by Sutremaine »

You might be able to get away with it in a pot connected to the ground (making a very small raised bed), and in a hot dry place or with cacti with vigorous root systems, but I'd save this stuff for hungry leafy plants. A leaner mix than this is better for all cacti.
terrapin

Post by terrapin »

Well alright, thanks guys.
Now is there anything I can add to it to make it better? What if I bought some grit, gravel, pumice and mixed it in there 50/50?
I also have some perlite if that would help.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Perlite would work but grit is better, if you add perlite note that it floats to the surface when you water. I keep my cacti in a mix of gravel and coarse grit and it seems to work. :)
-Daniel

Aquatic technician at Maidenhead Aquatics, Windsor.
I like the South Americans. Cacti that is...