Some Aloes to ID

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Shmuel

Some Aloes to ID

Post by Shmuel »

This has been driving me nuts for a while, so I turn to you all for hope in ID.

1) It is a few inches in diameter. Greys out in sun and more green in less light. I recently broke up the clump. Here are two parts. At first i thought it was "Lizard Lips" (great name) but I really don't think so.

2) This I thought might be Aloe camaroni. It is a smooth brown in winter though, instead of a red. OK, maybe reddish-brown, but not what I was hoping for. I suppose there can be great variation in winter color within the species. Here it is in its summer clothes. About a foot or 18 inches high and a year and a half from a cutting. It pupped wonderfully and I hope to divide and get some in the ground soon.

Thanks a lot.
Shmuel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
ocelot

Post by ocelot »

Well the last 3 pictures looks like Aloe arborescens and the first one, Aloe Saponaria?.
LT10

Post by LT10 »

Last one looks like A. cameronii to me, but mine looks more glossy and red thorns - maybe a bit more sun? Did you get hail?

First one is definitely not a SA spotted aloe, but I cannot come up with a better answer than that, Aloe deltoideodonta sprang to my mind and now I am stuck, do not think its that. How is the root system on this first plant? Looks like it NEEDS water (second pic) or it cannot use water, meaning roots not happy.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

The first one is a hybrid, probably out of the John Bleck group which includes Lizard Lips. It may include A. deltoideodonta in the crosses.

The big one looks like A. cameronii to me too. No telling about the color. It might be a hybrid as well.
Buck Hemenway
LT10

Post by LT10 »

That first aloe could be Aloe rauhii or hybrids of it as well.
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Thanks!
LT10 said:
Last one looks like A. cameronii to me, but mine looks more glossy and red thorns - maybe a bit more sun? Did you get hail?
This plant gets morning sun on a covered balcony. I just divided it and will move some of the pieces into full sun in the garden.
Not hail, but the spots you see are mostly water marks from our high calcium water. It is, however, developing some natural spots. Does A, cameroni do that, or does it stay a smooth green/red-brown?

A. deltoideodontahe is an interesting suggestion for the first one. Now that you gave me direction, I can see the resemblance. A rauhi is also a good suggestion.
But I think Buck hit it with a John Bleck hybrid. Now that I know what to Google I see how similar many are. I guess one can never know about an unnamed hybrid plant from a nursery...

Ocelot, I can see why you made your guesses. Truth is, I need to get those plants too!

Thanks again,

Shmuel

Thanks for the info.[/quote]
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

So many Aloes, so little time...
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)