Bob the Gymnocalycium

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
hbar98

Bob the Gymnocalycium

Post by hbar98 »

I got Bob around 20 years ago when he was just a little button in a glass mason jar. How I've kept him alive this long, I haven't a clue...and I'm sure that I've done some things wrong. But I just registered with the site and will be doing quite a bit of reading and probably asking questions!

Tony

Post by Tony »

Well whatever it is you are doing, dont stop! 8)

Welcome to the forum! :)
Last edited by Tony on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Good to have you and Bob on the Forum. Bob is quite a "Dandy"!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

OK, there's a reason I've strived to grow quite a few Gymnocalycium's from seed the last couple of years.
Hope I'm around in 20 to see them like yours!
Welcome.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

you must be doing something right! very beautiful!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
hbar98

Post by hbar98 »

Thank you all!

I have also successfully started "Boblings" from the main plant, but I've never seen him produce any seed pods. I need to read up and see how this is accomplished.

I've posted a few more pictures in the New Member Welcome area: http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22543

Thanks again!
ocelot

Post by ocelot »

hbar98 wrote:Thank you all!

I have also successfully started "Boblings" from the main plant, but I've never seen him produce any seed pods. I need to read up and see how this is accomplished.

I've posted a few more pictures in the New Member Welcome area: http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22543

Thanks again!
It could be because this species is self sterile, so cross pollination is therefore required in some species. You could get another of same species and cross pollinate and see what happens. Good luck.
hbar98

Post by hbar98 »

ocelot wrote:
hbar98 wrote:Thank you all!

Thanks again!
It could be because this species is self sterile, so cross pollination is therefore required in some species. You could get another of same species and cross pollinate and see what happens. Good luck.
Hmm, that may be so. If such is the case, I think I'll look around and see if I can find another. Which stinks, because where I live not a lot of places carry cactus plants.