Sources of Pottery for cactus collection

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Hari

Sources of Pottery for cactus collection

Post by Hari »

I visited Huntington Botanical Gardens about a month ago and they have the best looking little clay pots in their cactus conservatory. I was wondering whether any of you know where they get their pottery from.

I wish I had taken some more pictures concentrating on the pottery rather than the cacti while I was there. Here is an example of one of them.

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I've taken tons of pictures there and until you just pointed it out, I've never noticed the pots! They are unique.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

You might recognize his pots in many of my cacti images. Daiv has surely seen a lot of them at my place as well.

They were produced quite a few years ago by a potter named Bruce Johann. Orange County used to have quite a population of commercial potters due to availability of good quality clay nearby. Bruce did what many of us now call "museum pots", in quantity for HBG.

Around 1990. I got his name and found that in addition to his real job throwing commercial pots, he had a kiln at home and still had the templates and clay for the HBG pots. I commissioned two kiln loads from him and also purchased some remainder stock he had from the HBG days. The price was right and I spread the wealth by selling about 50% of what I got to OCCSS members. I still have many of the pots and they look as good as new.

I lost track of Bruce a few years later when he moved out of Santa Ana.

If anyone can add to this, I would be interested to know Bruce's whereabouts and situation.

Cheers ... GeneS
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

GeneS wrote: Daiv has surely seen a lot of them at my place as well.
:!: Here again I did not notice them until you pointed that out. Now for sure I can spot them in my pics from your place too.

I guess I must have "selective seeing"! :lol:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
TimN

Post by TimN »

Great looking pots! I usually don't notice them in pictures and generally crop them out of my pictures.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim