Cactus or not?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
navy

Cactus or not?

Post by navy »

Thank you for all responses to my first post. Now I can rename the cactus pictures.

I have another cactus that I got from my mother last summer, and do not know its ID. It looks like pereskia (?). Last winter all leaves fell off, plant was bare with branches and thorns. I thought it was dying. In the spring, leaves start growing again, need watering once a week if it's hot. Leaves on the tops are purple-pink, small blooms are same color, have last more than 6 months as showing in the third picture. I just saw some more flowers today, took a picture to add.

Please help me with its ID. Is it a cactus or some kind of plants? And anyone have an idea or experience to grow it, by cuttings or seeds? I'd like to grow more. Very appreciate for any help.

peterb

Post by peterb »

Maybe Pereskia grandifolia ssp. violacea? It's a great plant. I don't know Pereskias very well at all, so look forward to what others think. Your photos match the description in Anderson's The Cactus Family fairly well.

peterb
Zone 9
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

hey navy thats what i thought it is too. :) it matches pictures of Pereskia grandifolia on the net and in one of my books. now i see the last 'open flower' pic it looks even more likely.
its a very nice plant.
it should grow quite easily from cuttings if my Pereskiopsis and Pereskia aculeata cv. 'Goddseffiana' are anything to go by. :wink:
navy

Post by navy »

Thank you for your help. I'm happy to know that it is cactus, and try to plant more as your tip, will let you know the result.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

hey navy, i just found some information about this plant:

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/PERESK ... olacea.htm

from link: 'Propagation: It's very easy to propagate from cuttings or seeds, contrarily to most other cacti, Pereskia cuttings should be planted immediately without a dry out period. (you can also let them sit in a jar of water)'
iann

Post by iann »

Probably the most important thing to remember with Pereskia is not to treat them as succulents at all. Just grow them as a (sub-)tropical with warmth and sun, frequent water but good drainage. It will tolerate drought but doesn't need it, although keep dry when it is cold. Some species are deciduous every winter, some just drop their leaves if they get too cold or too dry.
--ian
navy

Post by navy »

Just come back from a long trip, and checked to see more help posts.
Thank you for all your information. I'll try to plant more. Maybe, better start now before the first frost.

Navy