Help!!!

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
navy

Help!!!

Post by navy »

I am a new user, know very little about cacti, have some kinds of cacti, have searched through the list in home page but still confused, realy need some helps to identify them.

The first one is similar to acanthocereus: shrubby plant with arching and angled stems, spines are short and stout. Flowers are very big and white, flower tubes have scales, but no spines. Mature fruits are red and globular with plenty of black small seeds in the white or no color pulp, texture of fruit is like watermelon, a little bit firmer, it tastes a little salty and a little sweet.

Adding some pictures that were taken two year ago when I grew it in a big pot for you to see to help me to identify it. Last year I put it down to the ground, it grows extremly fast, starts some blooms again last week.

snopuppy13

Post by snopuppy13 »

hello and welcome,
your plant looks like a hylocereus undatus.
peace
pat
Lewis_cacti

Re: Help!!!

Post by Lewis_cacti »

navy wrote:it grows extremly fast
yep Hylocereus undatus. :)
the fruit is called 'dragon fruit'. the plant is also used as a grafting stock for slower growing cacti. nice huge flowers too.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hello Navy.
Deffinatly one of the most impressive cacti flowers size wise I have witnessed. :)
Be sure to protect the plant from frost or you will lose all the growth that produces those flowers and have to start all over again, like me. :(
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
TimN

Post by TimN »

Either that lady is deceptively small or that is one HUGE piece of fruit!

Very nice plant and amazing fruit! Well done!
I like your trellis too, it gives your plant an interesting shape.

Tim
iann

Post by iann »

A family of four could live off that for a week! And they might have to if prices keep going up :shock:
--ian
conaire

Is there another ?

Post by conaire »

Hello everyone.
Is there another species of Hylocereus called H. triangularis that looks similar to undatus or is it an older name for the same plant?If they are two separate species what's the difference between them?
hob

Post by hob »

incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.