Beautiful Opuntia ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mrs.cactus

Beautiful Opuntia ID

Post by Mrs.cactus »

Could anyone help ID this beauty?

I saw this at the botanical garden here, in Arizona, but it didn't have a name tag!! :?

Would love to get this specimen for my own garden! :)

Thank you!
Attachments
KOLORO_1627914151067.jpg
KOLORO_1627914151067.jpg (59.33 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
anttisepp

Re: Beautiful Opuntia ID

Post by anttisepp »

Opuntia basilaris IMHO
Mrs.cactus

Post by Mrs.cactus »

anttisepp wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:00 pm Opuntia basilaris IMHO
That was my initial guess as well. But I have o. Basilaris in my yard and it's full of glochids.
The cactus in question doesn't appear to have any. That's what is confusing 😕
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

I don't think it's basilaris. I was going to say robusta, but unless you are an expert on Opuntia it's not easy.
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

It looks close to Opuntia Cacanapa / Opuntia Ellisiana Spineless https://www.gardentags.com/profile/daze ... apa/676053
and https://www.opuntiads.com/opuntia-cacan ... ellisiana/
O. cacanapa ‘Ellisiana’ is a garden variant of O. cacanapa that has no spines at all and essentially no glochids. O. cacanapa ‘Ellisiana’ may seem different from the parent Opuntia. However, O. cacanapa and O. cacanapa ‘Ellisiana’ share key features that demonstrate their relatedness: 1) strongly recurved leaves on cladodes and flowers, 2) pale stigmas with white styles, 3) white filaments with yellow anthers, 4) general shape and size of the fruits, 5) obovate or subcircular cladodes, 6) identical bloom periods, and 7) arborescent growth or formation of large shrubs.