Extremely important that I don't kill these - what are they?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
stephrocksyoursocks

Extremely important that I don't kill these - what are they?

Post by stephrocksyoursocks »

Help! It is incredibly important that I keep these alive, as they belonged to someone who just passed away and are now very sentimental to my family. Being from northern Minnesota and killing almost every plant I've ever owned, I know literally nothing about caring for cacti (or succulents - is the one with the...blades a succulent? I know the little rosette ones are?)

I'm researching the hell out of these so that I can attempt to do everything right and keep them alive, but there are so many that look almost exactly the same and I have spent so much time trying to figure it out.

My husband says I should cut off the one growing on the side of the one that was cut off and that more "babies" will then hopefully start growing. Is that true? I guess the story with that one is that the pot was accidentally left outside during a very bad rainstorm and it started to rot, so she cut off the rotting part and then that guy started to grow on the side :)

Thank you so much for any help you can give me!!

cacti.jpg
cacti.jpg (146.83 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
cacti1.jpg
cacti1.jpg (113.97 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
cacti2.jpg
cacti2.jpg (111.91 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
DaveW

Re: Extremely important that I don't kill these - what are they?

Post by DaveW »

The cacti look like Echinopsis (Trichocereus) spachianus to me, which just require normal cactus culture. The longer one looks as if it came off the cut stump of the other from the basal diameter.

Yes offsets will usually form on the stump if that offset is cut off, but the offset will grow far faster if left on the more established vigorous roots of the stump for a while before removing it.

See:-

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... spachianus

I will leave the Other Succulents for others to identify.
stephrocksyoursocks

Post by stephrocksyoursocks »

Thank you so, so much! Wow - this gives me a lot more to go on. Thank you!!
Do you know if I can re-pot the one with the stump into deeper soil so it's more sunken in and then I can "camouflage" the ugly scabby part with rocks? Haha!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I would not risk lowering it well under the soil as sometimes it can cause rot. You could put rocks over it. Just let the offset grow a bit longer then remove it and root it down.

There are several ways of rooting cuttings. The plant in this first video was not producing offsets because it was rotting, since it would have rotted long before it could produce those offsets. The brownish bottom part was just old growth, not rot. As said in the video let the cut surfaces callous over for a few days before planting. Unlike "normal" plants cacti do not immediately need water or planting and can lay around unplanted, or dry root, for a week or two without harm, yet watering too soon can rot them. :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMpJ1V2oYUM

This one does not use soil at all. If the cutting is thinner than the glass container just wrap in paper kitchen towel or similar to hold it up off the bottom of the glass:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WesnP1ZW1c4

With the mention of rotting plants, and it happens to us all at times no matter how long you have been growing them, it may be helpful to deal with it
here for beginners. Occasionally the rotten part will seal itself off and can be peeled off, but usually it has to be cut away to save the plant.

It is important to remove all traces of the yellowish or brownish rotting tissue, particularly in the central vascular bundles or it will simply keep rotting. You need to cut back to healthy tissue, let it callous over as with a cutting, which it now is, and re-root it as with cuttings above:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8W2PqBSYU

I have usually used flowers of sulphur rather than corn starch to dry the cut, but whatever works for you.
Hallow

Post by Hallow »

I am not sure about the cacti in the first 2 pictures, to add what was already mentioned what type of soil is under the rocks? The bottom picture are 2 totally different plants. The larger one is a agave, the other two are a hens n chicks type of plant. I would sperate the two different types. Both look like they would appreciate more sun. The hens and chicks type. Love to be outdoors all year. Winter's are cold where I live and those survive outdoors easily. The agave will not. In time the hen's and chick type Will over run the agave and probably choke it out.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

just as a side note, I concur 100% with Hallow about the IDs. I cannot provide a solid ID on the agave ... NO idea what species it is (so many of them look alike to me), so I can't tell you whether or not it will survive a winter outside ... some species will, and some species won't. it also depends on where YOU are and how cold it gets.

MY hens and chicks (and I have 3 hanging baskets full of them and they survive being outside, completely exposed to the winter cold all winter long) do just fine here in a Tennessee winter, where the winter temps rarely fall below about 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Hallow

Post by Hallow »

WayneByerly wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:31 am just as a side note, I concur 100% with Hallow about the IDs. I cannot provide a solid ID on the agave ... NO idea what species it is (so many of them look alike to me), so I can't tell you whether or not it will survive a winter outside ... some species will, and some species won't. it also depends on where YOU are and how cold it gets.

MY hens and chicks (and I have 3 hanging baskets full of them and they survive being outside, completely exposed to the winter cold all winter long) do just fine here in a Tennessee winter, where the winter temps rarely fall below about 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit.
I am in Wisconsin, zone 4 it's common to see sub zero Temps here in winter. It doesn't seem to faze the hen's n chicks.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Hallow wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:46 am [I am in Wisconsin, zone 4 it's common to see sub zero Temps here in winter. It doesn't seem to faze the hen's n chicks.
Do you have an enclosed space outside like a greenhouse that you can use to control the temperature?

I have a very small, very cheap, very primitive Greenhouse that's 8' by 8', and it has a thermostatically controlled electrical outlet that I plug a 1500 watt heater into. The thermostat is settable by the user, so I set it to come on at 45°. and shut off at 50°. All of my cacti that are in it survive the winter quite well. I'm in zone 7 a. You know that many cacti require a winter to 'rest' in order to flower the next summer don't you?

I think you might require a larger heater, being in zone 4 !
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Hallow

Post by Hallow »

I would love a little greenhouse but don't have the space for one. There's a small number of succulents I found can take the winters outdoors here. I found what will kill most of them isn't the cold itself. It's the early spring weather. Cold and wet and the temperature rollercoaster ride of early spring. All my non hardy cactus are already indoors for the season. I just watch my night time temps. Once they start hovering around 50 I bring them in. I do the reverse in spring.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

What about a cold frame for cacti outdoors? You can even put them on legs using a table like structure to bring them up to waist height if preferred. They can even be heated by a soil warming cable on a thermostat in winter if required and an old carpet or some sort of cover thrown over them on the coldest nights to minimise heating needed.

https://www.growsonyou.com/hywel/blog/2 ... ear-s-ears

You can usually find cold frames or mini greenhouses on EBAY that take up far less yard space than even the smallest walk-in greenhouse.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... s&_sacat=0
Dodi Russell
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)

Post by Dodi Russell »

DaveW wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:25 am

You can usually find cold frames or mini greenhouses on EBAY that take up far less yard space than even the smallest walk-in greenhouse.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... s&_sacat=0
Will this mini green house hold up in strong winds.
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The glass or twin wall plastic will if you fasten it to the floor just like a normal greenhouse. Obviously depends on the strength of their construction though. Not sure about the floppy plastic covered ones will. Even full sized greenhouses can get flattened in gales, certainly tornados, but so can houses.

You can even make one that is strong enough yourself if you can use tools.