Echeveria from seed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
cactuskaren

Echeveria from seed

Post by cactuskaren »

Hey!

I planted a variety of echeveria seeds about 2 and a half weeks ago. I planted them in cactus soil and have kept them between 18.5-21 degrees C with a grow light, indirectly shining. I don't have a single plant yet!! Is this a cause for concern or do I just need to be patient?? Any experience?
mmcavall

Re: Echeveria from seed

Post by mmcavall »

The only Echeverias I tried were from a Chinese seller from AliExpress. Nothing germinated , but I've learned that this kind of seed's source are not reliable, in general. So depending on the source of your seeds I would blame the quality of the seeds, not your method. Sorry I can't help you more, this was my only experience with this genus.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Did u bury the seeds? Echeveria seeds are supposed to be dust like and should not be buried
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

You have them in some kind of humidity dome, right?
They should germinate in a week, might be 10 days.
cactuskaren

Post by cactuskaren »

I bought them from a seller with a lot of 5 star reviews on etsy. I have them wrapped in saran wrap inside of a seed dome and i sprinkled them on top of the soil rather than burying them. It'll be three weeks since I planted them this Sunday.
pottedmob

Post by pottedmob »

Nice, I look forward to seeing how it'll turn out.
Got my tires fixed and replacement helo wheels. Ready to drive to Phoenix for Arizona Cactus Garden.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Last time I sowed Echeveria, some of them took 3 weeks to germinate, but most were quicker. The seeds are tiny, the initial plants are tiny too, less than 1mm across, so not easy to spot underneath plastic film.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti