Windowsill and patio growing

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
jp29

Re: Windowsill and patio growing

Post by jp29 »

The flowering season for Arrojadoa multiflora (started in December) is finally winding down:

James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
jp29

Post by jp29 »

jp29 wrote:The flowering season for Arrojadoa multiflora (started in December) is finally winding down ..........
.......... however, the tip cuttings that are currently rooting are producing new flower buds:

James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

jp29 wrote: Image Image
Tacinga inamoena ssp. subcylindrica (sensu lato) growing in 3¼" (8cm) square plastic pots
Equal parts washed, coarse pumice and cocopeat
This species produces large and plump fruit:

Image Image
James
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

My A. multiflora are blooming now too and also have a few buds forming. A. rhodantha is also slowing down with just one developing now. No A. dinae flowers in a while though.
A. penicillata and A. bahiensis just pouting and refusing to flower at all this year!

Yours are beautiful as usual!
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I always find the waxy flowers of arrojadoa fascinating, too bad they need so much warmth in winter
yours look lovely
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Arjen wrote:I always find the waxy flowers of arrojadoa fascinating, too bad they need so much warmth in winter
yours look lovely
How warm do they like it? I have some that don't like going below 50F, or even 60F. Those I have been bringing in from the greenhouse each winter. Do they still need a lot of light and less water during the winter? How hot can they stand it during the summer?...and how much fresh, circulating air do they require?
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
jp29

Post by jp29 »

fanaticactus wrote:
Arjen wrote:I always find the waxy flowers of arrojadoa fascinating, too bad they need so much warmth in winter
yours look lovely
How warm do they like it? I have some that don't like going below 50F, or even 60F. Those I have been bringing in from the greenhouse each winter. Do they still need a lot of light and less water during the winter? How hot can they stand it during the summer?...and how much fresh, circulating air do they require?
Please refer to my cultivation notes (sig link). I have, on occasion, grown all Arrojadoa species outside here in Tucson where the winter nights sometimes get (slightly) below freezing -- but then I throw freeze cloth over them. Otherwise (and mostly) I treat them as I describe in my Cultivation notes. But that is here in southern Arizona where cold nights are usually followed by warm, sun-shiny days that rejuvenate the plants. Additionally, our winters are mostly very dry with abundant daily sunshine. For me, plants of this genus have no problem handling the fierce Tucson summers -- 100°F+ (approx. 38°C+) days with 75°F+ (approx. 21°C+) nights -- with occasional 110°F+ daytime temps -- under 30% shade cloth (which I find provides optimum shading and air circulation here). As always, your own growing environment, substrate choice, type of containers, climate, plant staging and light intensity are the determining parameters for successful cultivation.
Last edited by jp29 on Wed May 13, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Coleocephalocereus purpureus makes a nice, compact windowsill plant

Coleocephalocereus purpureus growing in 3¼" (8cm) square plastic pots
James
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I have, on occasion, grown all Arrojadoa species outside here in Tucson where the winter nights sometimes get (slightly) below freezing -- but then I throw freeze cloth over them. Otherwise (and mostly) I treat them as I describe in my Cultivation notes. But that is here in southern Arizona where cold nights are usually followed by warm, sun-shiny days that rejuvenate the plants.
of course, I should have mentioned the difference in growing context.
I live in the netherlands, cold and moisture go hand in hand here, no warmth in months.

your coleocephalocereus look amazing!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

jp29 wrote:Coleocephalocereus purpureus makes a nice, compact windowsill plant

Coleocephalocereus purpureus growing in 3¼" (8cm) square plastic pots
Great plants James!

Thanks for show. =D>

Best wishes

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

I am currently recovering from my third abdominal surgery. That episode, coupled with my difficulty walking due to lower leg edema and deteriorated knees dictates that my potted plants must be light weight due to my winter maintenance regimen which involves staging my plants indoors on south facing window sills at night, and during cold days, and carrying them outside to the patio for the benefits of sunshine and fresh air during the 60°F+ (approx. 16°C+) days that we frequently experience during our Tucson winters.

My cactus and succulent collection here at our small retirement Town Home consists mostly of miniature species, growing in small containers, maintained indoors on south facing window sills in 2" (5cm) - by 3" (7.5cm) deep, 2¾" (7cm) and 3¼" (8cm) square plastic pots, or outdoors in plant boxes under 30% shade cloth as weather conditions dictate.

I have selected the plants that I grow according to the following criteria:

1. Relatively "shrubby" and thin stemmed species that are of light weight.
2. Do not require a cold winter rest to produce flowers.
3, Can be grown to maturity - producing flowers and fruit - in small containers.
4. Approx. 12 inches (30 cm) maximum height.
5. Can be easily propagated via cuttings or freely produced offsets.

Current plant selection:

I now have to prepare to drastically reduce my "Town Home Collection" of plants before they become primarily winter windowsill staged plants. My current plan is to maintain one or two specimens of my very favorite Brazilian Cacti and Madagascar Euphorbias in carry trays as depicted below:

Arrojadoa dinae growing in 2¾" (7cm) square plastic pots

Arrojadoa dinae in bud, flower and fruit

Pereskia portulacifolia growing in 2" (5cm) - by 3" (7.5cm) deep square plastic pots

Pereskia portulacifolia growing "bonsai style"

Euphorbias - left to right - growing in 3¼" (8cm) square plastic pots:
E. cylindrifolia x didieroides, E. sakarahaensis, E. cylindrifolia ssp. tuberifera

Euphorbia cylindrifolia x didieroides

Euphorbia sakarahaensis

Euphorbia cylindrifolia ssp. tuberifera
James
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Good to have you back, James! And, great photos - do you use a photo box with a blue background, or just a blue piece of paper, or ??
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Minime8484 wrote:Good to have you back, James! And, great photos - do you use a photo box with a blue background, or just a blue piece of paper, or ??
Thanks Tristan. Actually I just use one of my trusty reference books ..........

.......... remove the tattered old dust cover .........

.......... prop it open slightly and position the plants against it as a background
James
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Ha! Great idea!! I'll have to find me a book that color too!
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Thanks for the tip on a background for photographing.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!