Start of season

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DaveW

Start of season

Post by DaveW »

It's the start of the season with Rebutia's and Sulcorebutias's for me:-

Rebutia rosalbiflora (amount of rose-pink in the flower seems to vary between individual plants, some being more highly coloured than this one)
rosalbiflora.jpg
rosalbiflora.jpg (106 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
Rebutia pygmaea WR 646
R.-pygmaea WR646.jpg
R.-pygmaea WR646.jpg (31.39 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
Sulcorebutia glomerispina
sulco glomerispina.jpg
sulco glomerispina.jpg (70.27 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
Last edited by DaveW on Sat May 09, 2015 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
sabotenmen

Re: Start of season

Post by sabotenmen »

Great flowers,great pics!
jp29

Post by jp29 »

sabotenmen wrote:Great flowers,great pics!
Yes indeed -- really excellent photos, Dave.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

The Rebutia pygmaea I received from Miles' To Go in October is establishing well, although I don't think I'll see flowers out of it this year. Hopefully next spring, in which case I'll have something to look forward to. Gorgeous flowers on all 3 of your plants, Dave!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Spoke too soon -- oops! Here's what I saw today:

If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

lovely flowers
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

A few more flowering today. Lighting was not the best as I had to take them inside the greenhouse as it was too windy outside.

Sulcorebutia verticillacantha
S.-verticillacantha.jpg
S.-verticillacantha.jpg (51.76 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
Sulcorebutia steinbachii ssp. clizensis R 611
S.-steinbachii-ssp.-clizens.jpg
S.-steinbachii-ssp.-clizens.jpg (51.39 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
Sulcorebutia tiraquensis ssp. electracantha
S.-tiraquensis-ssp.-electra.jpg
S.-tiraquensis-ssp.-electra.jpg (57.54 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

very beautiful!
my sulcorebutias are slow this year, first flowers yesterday on tarabucoensis var. aureiflora
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
iann

Post by iann »

None here, certainly not a full-on display like these photos. Lots of buds though. My plants are unheated over winter, and this spring has been mostly on the cool side so far.
--ian
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

A bit dull for photography today, but I had to take this in case the flowers were over before we get another sunny day. Afraid camera was set on Shutter Priority at 160th second to avoid camera shake, therefore I see the camera set an aperture of f4.5, not ideal for depth of field!

Sulcorebutia tarabucoensis ssp. lindae RF 179.
S.-tarabucoensis-lindae-RF-.jpg
S.-tarabucoensis-lindae-RF-.jpg (49.59 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Nice flowers and a good picture. Do you use sunlight only Dave?
Bruno
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes Bruno, I don't think I have ever used flash (strobe) for a cactus picture, though it probably would be an advantage on some night flowering plants. The black background is originally black velvet and not light fall off from flash (strobe), with any light reflections touched out in post processing.

I also usually use a diffuser between the sun and plant on a sunny day, but for the above it was overcast anyway. The problem is our plants only tend to fully open their flowers on bright sunny days which produce the harshest contrast and deepest shadows. I use one of those round ones you can get cheap (presumably Chinese made) off EBAY:-

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototip ... hting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVV4mcfygQo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sulcorebutia hertusii (syn S. senilis and S. gerosenilis)
hertusii.jpg
hertusii.jpg (93.53 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

That's nice Dave, I wonder, the diffuser could be used as a reflector too, thus maybe achieving a similar effect for reducing the harsh contrast caused by direct sunlight.

A good example on the video, I haven't used a diffuser yet, I'm fairly new to trying to improve my cactus pictures, for now I have been using an improvised reflector, wich is small zinc sheet.
It's nice to know what other techniques people use.

Alright, now I'm deviating too much from the main subject of the topic. :mrgreen:

The nice spination should make Sulcorebutia hertusii beautiful enough even when not in flower. I have only a few species of Rebutia (even if Sulcorebutia, Aylostera etc included). Some grown from seed, because strangely, even though they grow in neighbor countries, the nurseries that I know here in Brazil have just very few of them.
Bruno