Echinopsis

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
jamesfe

Echinopsis

Post by jamesfe »

I have been wondering do all Echinopsis bloom at night? This is the only plant that has a bloom now. It only lasted one day. By the time that I got home from work today it was wilted.
Attachments
IMG_8016.jpg
IMG_8016.jpg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
IMG_8008.jpg
IMG_8008.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
IMG_8007.jpg
IMG_8007.jpg (48.5 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
majcka

Re: Echinopsis

Post by majcka »

I don't recall if they all do bloom at night,but many of them do. And only one night. Sometimes only a few hours. :(
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Hmmm. Lots of scarring on that plant, while the new growth looks ok. Have you changed its growing conditions? Looks like it's had a rough ride.
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

No, definitely not. Of course, the genus "Echinopsis" can include Trichocereus and Lobivia. Typically the Trichocereus are white, night bloomers, while the Lobivias are colorful day bloomers. The more typical "Echinopsis" - that is the globular stems with long trumpet flowers, seem to be as likely one way as the other. And there are always exceptions to the rules so my comments are pretty much generalizations here.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

An added complication is that recent studies suggest that those long, white, nocturnal flowers have evolv-ed in parallel in several fairly unrelated genera (convergent evol-ution), such as Echinopsis and Lobivia, and that your plant is actually a Lobivia. #-o
Rod Smith

Post by Rod Smith »

My large flowered Echinopsis' usually open overnight and last for two whole days before wilting.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

An added complication is that recent studies suggest that those long, white, nocturnal flowers have evolv-ed in parallel in several fairly unrelated genera (convergent evol-ution), such as Echinopsis and Lobivia, and that your plant is actually a Lobivia
are you referring to "Lobivia subdenudata"? the article by Schlumpberger et al. is indeed very interesting, but subdenudata is imo a probable anomaly
it's morphology is so very like your run of the mill Echinopsis!
don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that article and the resulting cladogram to be on the right track, and true to a large extent
I also think that more study is required, more genes need to be looked at
if that happens I wouldn't be surprised if the anomalies were straightened out

this plant apparently doesn't come with a label, almost impossible to say if it's Echinopsis or Lobivia
but it looks very Echinopsis to me
Last edited by Arjen on Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

Arjen wrote:subdenudata is imo a probable anomaly it's morphology is so very like your run of the mill Echinopsis!
That depends on what you think of as a run of the mill Echinopsis. Echinopsis looks likely to be reduced to a genus of 10 species, 3 with long, white, nocturnal flowers and 7 with short, coloured, diurnal, flowers. :roll: Many of the other long, white, nocturnal-flowered, short-bodied plants have gone elsewhere - leucantha, rhodotricha, mamillosa, ancistrophora (subdenudata is arguably only a form of ancistrophora anyway), ayopayana, bridgesii, pamparuizii, obrepanda (some white). :study:
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

that may well be, but compare e. eyriesii/oxygona and l. subdenudata and it's hard to not see the likeness
of course that may be due to convergent evol-ution but once you compare the flowers, stem and all, that becomes quite a wobbly argument
yet, genes don't lie I suppose...
does make you wonder which genes they exactly looked at, and what would be the result if they studied some more or other genes

if subdenudata was to be lumped into ancistrophora I think we would have some more of the senseless lumping of the last few decades
they are clearly separate species!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)