Heat in AZ/Cali deserts

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Peterthecactusguy

Heat in AZ/Cali deserts

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Hi all, this weekend is supposed to be very hot in Eastern California, and Central Arizona. I have heard that Death Valley might break it's record heat this weekend. I dont know if that will happen or not, but it will be very warm, even where I live. We have highs in the 110s.. with 115, 114 and 113 for the next three days. At around 5pm, it's 105 today. .. Stay cool everyone in the areas that are going to be warm. BTW other areas might be warm, I just read the warmings for Phx, and it mentioned the temps in Cali.. Stay cool!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
peterb

Re: Heat in AZ/Cali deserts

Post by peterb »

Yes, I see it is the first heat wave of this summer, with Tempe now at 109F (42.8C) at 6 pm and a forecast high temperature for tomorrow of 119F (48.3C). The overnight "low" temp forecast for tomorrow night is 93F (33.9C). These temps I think are more common a bit later in the summer. In general, for me here in the low desert, the growing and flowering season was very short until the dormancy trigger hit. I sometimes spray just to cool things down a bit but never water most of the plants very deeply from now to about September, as there is very little transpiration if any happening for anything other than the more tropical kinds of cacti.

peterb
Zone 9
majcka

Post by majcka »

Well! As we often find out this years weather is nuts.

We had ouf first hot vawe (10 days long) of about 95F (35C) it ended on last Sunday. Temps dropped to about 60F (15C). In one day folks. And during the day (not night - that was even lower). It is just too much for me. I'm bathing in the sea one day and go ski another or what???? ](*,)
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Peterthecactusguy

PeterB, I will start to reduce watering, despite the arid conditions of late the over night temps were still in the 70s most of the time, but now they are in the 80s and up, so I think that I will reduce watering. and yeah.. the weather up here is going to be a few degrees cooler but for the first time I think ever we have a excessive heat warning, that I remember. Warmest day here so far was 117.9. That was in 05 if I remember correctly. So even being out of the cities isn't making much difference.
Peterthecactusguy

Maja, yeah the weather has been very strange of late. Hope it gets a little warmer for you. It's summer now.
Peterthecactusguy

Currently BCC is hotter then Phx, 106 in PHX, 107 here in BCC .. It's too hot, and will only get hotter :)
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Central Valley expected to reach 111 degrees. #-o
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

It'll be 100 at my house, and it's windy this weekend so I can't go boating on the ocean (always 60'F out there..)

Might throw a silver tarp over the part of my GH with no shadecloth to keep the heat down.
Peterthecactusguy

yes the heat will be wide spread.. and hot.. .. All I know is that I am worried about some of my plants. it might get too hot for them.. for how dry they are.
cedillamuerta

Post by cedillamuerta »

We can't hold a candle to those out west, but it's still miserably hot down here. Highs at 99 every day and the heat index is still 105 at 6:30. All my plants are very unhappy and no amount of watering can get them to perk up again. My cacti seem to be content with it, though :D
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Checking in with a weather report from coastal SoCal here...

Daytime highs were 90 yesterday and 87 today. The forecast is for 93 tomorrow, 96 (!) on Sunday, with a major cool-down going from 86 Monday to the mid-70s through July 4th weekend. My clear overnights will be replaced with the overnight marine layer again starting Wednesday. With apologies to those of you who live there -- man, I'm so glad I'm not in the desert!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Peterthecactusguy

yeah Steve, that's why I said deserts of Cali, mostly the Mojave and the Central Desert.. (Sonoran for part I think, whatever else it is lol I can't remember) Our high was 113. not as hot as they thought. lol tom 114. so I dont know tried to rain briefly!
Good luck to those who are in the heat wave
Peterthecactusguy

cedillamuerta wrote:We can't hold a candle to those out west, but it's still miserably hot down here. Highs at 99 every day and the heat index is still 105 at 6:30. All my plants are very unhappy and no amount of watering can get them to perk up again. My cacti seem to be content with it, though :D
hahaha I hate heat+humidity. we get some during the monsoon season sometimes.
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

So, Peter, are you sayin' "It's gonna be hotter 'n a firecracker' this fourth of July!" :lol:

Very timely.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Just heard on the news that Palm Springs hit 118 yesterday and Death Valley was at 125. Today is supposedly the hottest day so those numbers may go higher!
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants