well wishes for our east coast members

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
peterb

well wishes for our east coast members

Post by peterb »

Looks like some heavy weather headed your way in the next four days. Hope all is well as it develops.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Re: well wishes for our east coast members

Post by daiv »

Just heard about this here too. I guess the "upside" to these things are that you get a little advanced warning compared to a sudden earthquake or even a tornado. Then again, the scale of it probably makes up for that, but hopefully, the damage will be minimized.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

daiv wrote:...a sudden earthquake...
We had one of those recently (not big)
daiv wrote:...even a tornado...
We had one of those last year :?

I heard this might be a big one....so...thanks for caring! :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

we had a tornado complex in AZ a few years ago.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Peterthecactusguy

btw where my parents live are going to get hit.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Have heard on the news that they are taking every possible precaution that they can and have told thousands to get out just in case. I just hope everyone heeds the warning and also that it turns out to be a false alarm. Times like this one just hopes that the experts have got it wrong! Thinking of all involved.
Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RayC

Post by RayC »

We were quite lucky here in northern Ct. We are in a valley and missed much of the wind. We did lose power ofr a day (and may lose it again as the put pieces back together), but no real damage from trees falling like in other parts of the state (plus many of the questionable ones dropped in last years storm on almost the same date). Shoreline towns and places less affected by last years storm took a big-time hit.
350,000 + still without power as of 11:00 AM (down from over 500,000)
Peterthecactusguy

I still havent heard from my parents yet. Power must still be out in SE PA. Sandy is nothing new for the Atlantic coast. I was in a few Nor"easters and a few tropical systems, including Ivan which entered my county there as a hurricane.
RayC

Post by RayC »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:I still havent heard from my parents yet. Power must still be out in SE PA. Sandy is nothing new for the Atlantic coast. I was in a few Nor"easters and a few tropical systems, including Ivan which entered my county there as a hurricane.
Hope you hear from them soon. Looking around here and there I have seen mentions of power being out in some places in Pa until Mon or Tues, some cool air going to be around also.
Peterthecactusguy

They got power restored on the 31. Apparently a tree fell in the neighbors yard and it hit wires and apparently made a fire that burned for a few hours. The fire department had to wait until the power company shut off the power to attack the fire. The Eye of the storm passed where they lived so they were somewhat spared from the winds and heavy rain, which is strange.. usually the eye wall is the worst area of the storm.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:They got power restored on the 31. Apparently a tree fell in the neighbors yard and it hit wires and apparently made a fire that burned for a few hours. The fire department had to wait until the power company shut off the power to attack the fire. The Eye of the storm passed where they lived so they were somewhat spared from the winds and heavy rain, which is strange.. usually the eye wall is the worst area of the storm.
Am really pleased that you have finally made contact with your family Peter and that they seem to be ok after their terrible experience.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;