New E. micromeris

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Steve Johnson

New E. micromeris

Post by Steve Johnson »

Went to the California Cactus Center yesterday and I brought a few new plants home with me. Among them is an Epithelantha micromeris. I tried growing a few in my younger days, although they didn't last long when I wasn't aware of how many cacti simply don't like to get watered in the winter. Anyway, the E. micormeris is a beautiful little cactus, so I'd like to do better this time. I'm getting good results with pumice/DG mix in my other cacti -- hopefully this'll be on the right track with my new Epithelantha. As I get ready to repot it, I have a few questions:

1. The plant tag states that 20% limestone in the mix is "recommended" for this plant. However, I'm not messing around with limestone. Is regular watering and fertilizing sufficient without it? If I really should add a little limestone for this particular species, where can I find the right stuff?

2. What are the watering preferences for E. micromeris in terms of frequency during spring and summer? Our daytime highs stay mostly in the mid to upper 70s through spring, and we won't start seeing consistent temps in the 80s until July. Our heat waves are short and infrequent in the 90-95 degree range, although those would be normal summer temps for the more inland areas.

3. How extensive is the Epithelantha's root system? I'm paying more attention to how root systems behave in terms of potting to the correct size, so I'm trying to get away from inadvertently over-potting. Same for taproots when they have them. Since I haven't seen the E. micromeris unpotted yet, it would be nice to know about what the roots will be doing as the plant grows.

Thanks!

Steve
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
peterb

Re: New E. micromeris

Post by peterb »

My experience is that Epithelantha like to be underpotted. I have grown E. micromeris in small holed drilled into pure volcanic rock and they loved it. They do best in a mineral mix for sure, but don't need any added limestone, necessarily. Water is fine when they are growing, not too much otherwise. Cold, dry winter.

peterb
Zone 9
iann

Post by iann »

They're easy. I can only imagine reports of difficulties stem from using a rich peaty soil ;)

Epithelanthas grow a substantial fibrous root system, or perhaps you'd consider it a perfectly standard fibrous root system on a fairly small cactus. It will suck up water fast and is well adapted to rocky soils with extreme drainage. Don't water in cold weather, wait for the plant to show signs of needed the water, and then feel free to provide it. The plant should respond very quickly. Mid-size plants usually develop the distinctive top shape, where a narrowed neck will support a fatter main body. The neck will be invisible when the plant is thirsty but can appear overnight if you water. I don't know what these things do in extreme heat, but I imagine they'd be happy to sit out any Los Angeles heatwave without water.

They're all pretty hardy, certainly you couldn't freeze one in Los Angeles. More likely you'll have trouble with them trying to grow in winter and wondering whether to dare watering them.
--ian
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Excellent -- thanks, gentlemen! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Robinj

Post by Robinj »

Little qeustion, would a mix of 7 litres cocopeat, 7 litres of seramis from the intratuin and 4 litres of vermiculite be a good mix for the micromeris?
Searching for these seeds:
Gymnocalycium andreae
Matucana madisoniorum
iann

Post by iann »

Robinj wrote:Little qeustion, would a mix of 7 litres cocopeat, 7 litres of seramis from the intratuin and 4 litres of vermiculite be a good mix for the micromeris?
That's a lot of soil for such a tiny plant :shock: :lol: :shock:
--ian
peterb

Post by peterb »

E. micromeris might do okay with that mix, but I would avoid ingredients like coir, peat, vermiculite. Straight gritty mineral mix.

peterb
Zone 9
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

iann wrote:
Robinj wrote:Little qeustion, would a mix of 7 litres cocopeat, 7 litres of seramis from the intratuin and 4 litres of vermiculite be a good mix for the micromeris?
That's a lot of soil for such a tiny plant :shock: :lol: :shock:
Maybe someone's starting an Epithelantha farm? :) Anyway, I'd steer clear of using any organic material with Epithelanthas, hence my reason for a pumice/decomposed granite mix. Sorry about not having any experience with seramis, and I'm not sure how well vermiculite does in a mineral mix. We can find easy access to both pumice and DG here in SoCal, so I have no reason to look at anything else. If you can find mineral products with similar properties, I think E. micromeris should do well in it.
Robinj

Post by Robinj »

In holland where i live, it is difficult even to very fine lava stone.
Searching for these seeds:
Gymnocalycium andreae
Matucana madisoniorum
iann

Post by iann »

Seramis is fine. I wouldn't use vermiculite or coir but you'd have to find substitutes.
--ian