Multiple scions

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Isometric

Multiple scions

Post by Isometric »

Sorry to disappoint those who were looking forward to seeing a picture of a graft plant with multiple scions.

I thought about why I haven't seen any plants like it. I have never grafted a plant in my life, but I remember that if the stock branches then the branch should be cut, lest all the nutrients go to the branch and not the scion.

I was thinking about a bevel cut on a stock. Then graft a plant on each side. I wonder what would happen. Are nutrients distributed uniformly on the vascular cambium, so both scions get the same amount of nutrients?

Similarly if the stock has equal sized branches and a plant is grafted on each branch, would the scions get equal nutrients?

Has anyone ever tried this? I think that it would make a great contribution in the crazy section of a cactus and succulents show.
Paralysis by analysis...sigh
rhodostom

Post by rhodostom »

I have grafted multiple scions to different branches of Pereskiopsis. In my case, the scions do grow slower than with only once scion per stock.

As for your second question about growth rates, I have one Peres with 3 scions on it. They all seem to grow at the same rate. They are all grafted very close to the main stem though. I have another Peres with 9 scions on it. These scions all seem to grow at different rates, with the ones closest to the main stem growing fastest.

Hope this helps.
Isometric

Post by Isometric »

Ah so it has been done. Thanks for sharing that, but you wouldn't happen to have any pictures to post would you? I'd love to see them.
Paralysis by analysis...sigh
Tony

Post by Tony »

I had considered doing this, but my whole reason for grafting the slow growing plants Im grafting is to get them big fast and putting two or more scions on the same stock roots would certainly slow them down.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
cooky173

Post by cooky173 »

rhodostom

Post by rhodostom »

Tony wrote:I had considered doing this, but my whole reason for grafting the slow growing plants Im grafting is to get them big fast and putting two or more scions on the same stock roots would certainly slow them down.
Agreed.

But it is also just fun to play sometimes :D

Iso- Sorry no photos, but I'll try and get some.
Tony

Post by Tony »

rhodostom wrote:
Tony wrote:I had considered doing this, but my whole reason for grafting the slow growing plants Im grafting is to get them big fast and putting two or more scions on the same stock roots would certainly slow them down.
Agreed.

But it is also just fun to play sometimes :D
Agreed, I might just have to try it anyway.
Would be a sight to see 5+ different species of say, turbi's or Astros all growing next to each other on the same stock. :shock: :lol:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Loph

Post by Loph »

if you do decide to try, i would suggest something other than pereski (although t is easier to work with). it just doesnt last long all filled up with areole grafts :( a good fat columnar will last a good long time 8)
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
luddhus

Post by luddhus »

I have grafted several scions on different stems of the same Selenicereus grandiflorus plant.
C And D

Post by C And D »

I grafted several plants on top of each other about 8 years ago, it didn't last that long, and I didn't take pictures of it.

I had several differnt colors of the varigated Gymnocalycium friedichii
and just stacked them up.

I would do one graft, let it heal, and then do another on top of that, and had four colors, cool right
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
gtstcactus

Post by gtstcactus »

I have grafted 3 lophophora onto a san pedro. The san pedro had 3 branches I put a lophophora on each branch