Ariocarpus et cetera - brief review

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
TimN

Ariocarpus et cetera - brief review

Post by TimN »

Ariocarpus et cetera – the special, smaller genera of Mexican cacti
By John Pilbeam and Bill Weightman

140 Pages
250 Color Photographs
Published in 2006 by the British Cactus and Succulent Society

This book covers the following genera of Mexican cacti

Acharagma
Ariocarpus
Astrophytum
Aztekium
Cumarinia
Epithelantha
Geohintonia
Leuchtenbergia
Lophopohra
Neolloydia
Obregonia
Ortegocactus
Pelecyphora
Stenocactus
Strombocactus
Topumeya
Turbinicarpus

This is an interesting book with lots of in-depth information about each genus. There are many full-color habitat and cultivation pictures. It seems like they tried to use cultivation photos as much as possible.

The sections on each species within the genera are standard cactus book stuff; plant description, discussion of previous names/taxonomy, descriptions of morphology both in habitat and in cultivation, location data. The commentary is typical Pilbeam; precise and descriptive for the most part with interesting anecdotes about his experiences with these plants.

This book has a wider scope of interest than I do, so I have not read the entire thing. What I have read is quite interesting and engaging. This will be a keeper in my Cactus Library.

The U.S. distributor is the Rainbow Gardens Bookstore. The British Cactus and Succulent Society distributes to the rest of the world.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Borrowed this book from the OCCSS club last night and have thumbed through it and read up on some of the plants. It's an excellent book, i hope to someday own it.

However, i noticed several photos seem to be a bit out of focus...? The habitat photos are some of the nicest plants i've seen, especially the Ariocarpi.

Since the club does not have a meeting next month, i get it for 2 months...score! :D