An Unsolicited Review

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
GeneS

An Unsolicited Review

Post by GeneS »

Yesterday,,I had the opportunity to attend a presentation and book signing by Stephen Ingram, for his newly released book "Cacti, Agaves, and Yuccas of California and Nevada"

For any of you interested in the flora of these areas, this book is a must.

As well as a botanist, Steven is a well known photographer and the book is filled with outstanding habitat images that alone, make it worth the price.

In the detailed coverage of the individual species, information is presented in an easy to read manner (not too technical but with enough for the curious to pursue further). I find the treatments extremely up to date and usefull, especially for those trying to identify plants in the field.

Especially good is the treatment of those pesky prickly pear and cholla along with their many natural hybrids and variations. I think even I could probably identify one correctly using this book as a guide :)

There is a chapter on conservation and cultivation and, as a real bonus, a chapter on exploring for these plants that will help you plan many field trips.

A final find is the eight page bibliograpy that can serve as a library check list for those wishing to drill down to the latest or most pertinate thinking on all the items discussed.

Beginner, budding naturalist or die-hard enthusiast, you should own this book! Details Here

Cheers ... GeneS
dgimages.smugmug.com
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Awesome!
I knew there was something i wanted to do this weekend... :roll: Being busy can suck! :evil:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ok Darryl,
Since you're still out there - you gotta find some hot spots and then take me there on my next visit! :mrgreen:

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

We saw Stephen's presentation on Wednesday night and it is terrific, just like his book. This one is a must for all California and Nevada succulent growers. Don't worry Darryl, there will be several more chances for you to see the show.
Buck Hemenway
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

No problem Daiv!
These are problems i don't mind having :D

Cool, i get a 2nd chance. I wasn't aware there would be so much on Opuntia's...can't miss the next one!
john b

Post by john b »

It is an excellent book!

Here's an earlier post with some more info:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... ght=#69497

Best,

John B
birdguy34

Post by birdguy34 »

Just wanted to say thanks Gene for posting your review. Just received my copy that I ordered right after reading your post and really like what I see so far.
Chris