My different Cactus

All posts relating to the CactiGuide.com Big Picture Project
ncox

My different Cactus

Post by ncox »

Oh how I love cactus they are the best things in the plant world. lol Any way here are some pics of the cactus I have. Image 1. This is a type of Aloe
Image 2. Basic Aloe
Image 3.This is another type of Aloe that has tubular red flowers. The humming birds love this one.
Image 4. This is my big boy I sure love this cactus.
Image 5.?
Image 6.I call this one a generation cactus as I am the 4th generation to own it. lol
Image 7.?
Image 8-9. Are my graphed cactus I think they are cute.
Image 10. This is a Beaver Tail Cactus
Image 11. This one is a Desert Rose Cactus (Adenium obesum) I purchased on Ebay.
Image 12. ?
Image 13. ?
Image 14. ?
Image 15. ?
Image 16. This one is just a baby. I think it is also from the Aloe family
Image 17. I got a clipping of this one from Fort Bragg, CA. It was on a rocky bluff so I took some home.
Image 18. ?
Image 19.?
Image 20. ?
Image 21. ? This is some type of ground cover. My bearded dragons and turtle love to eat it.
Image 22. ?
Image 23. ?
Image 24. These century type plants just started growing in my garden one day. They are small about 3 inches tall so far.
Image 25. Coastal succulent that grows on the beaches in Fort Bragg, CA. Again I took some stems and brought them home because the flowers are so pretty. They bloom in shades of yellow, white, pink.
Image 26. Jade Plant
Image 27. I bought this one from Home Depot they told me it was a rubber plant. I think it is a breed of the Jade plant. Not really sure.
Image 28. This is a piece of cactus I found laying on the road in Corning, CA.
Image 29. I took this clipping from a wild cactus on the side of the road. Even though you don't see spins always use tongs or wear gloves. lol I had to stop at a truck stop to buy duck tape to help remove them. lol
Image 30. Starfish cactus (Stapelia Gigantea) Hopefully It will grow big and healthy so I can see the starfish bloom. Oh I can't wait...
Image 31. String of Pearls succulent. I bought this at a local nursery because it is different. And I thought it would look good in a hanging basket.

Okay I will post more of my cactus pics as I get them taken. Hope you all enjoy them as I share them.
Nadine
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Nadine!
Thanks for your generosity and contributing to the picture database!

I am looking for particular cacti and not just pictures in general. While common, I did need some pics of those Gymnocalycium grafts and I have been meaning to expand the "Cacti or Not" page so some of your succulent pictures will help with that.

Here is a list of species that don't have a picture at all on the guide: http://www.cactiguide.com/php/picmissing_search.php

Also, since these will be used for ID, we want to be sure they are 100% correct on the ID. If you want to share your pics for us to see, post away, or if you want to just list the species you have, I can point out ones that are still needed.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Wow, look at those great plants!
Very nice collection Nadine.

1. Aloe ciliaris
2. Aloe vera
3. Aloe something
4. Cylindropuntia spinosior
5. Echinopsis spachiana
6. Echinopsis subdenudata ?
7. Haworthia sp. ?
8 + 9. Gymnocalicium stenopleurum grafted to Hylocereus undatus (Moon Cactus)
10. Opuntia microdasys v. rufida
12. Echinocactus sp. ?
13. Cleistocactus strausii
14. Parodia (Notocactus) leninghausii
15. Opuntia ficus-indica
16. Agave americana ?
18. Cylindropuntia fulgida v. mammillata f. monstrose
19. Austrocylindropuntia verschafelltii ?
20. Euphorbia sp.
22. Cereus forbesii f. monstrose (Ming Thing)
23. Mammillaria elongata
24. Agave americana v. marginata
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

CoronaCactus wrote: 6. Echinopsis subdenudata ?
Oxygona or Eyriesii
iann

Post by iann »

I'd go with Ferocactus for #12, not sure which one though.
--ian
Tony

Post by Tony »

Nice collection, :)
I would call #3 Aloe striata hybrid
Does the bloom look like this?
The haworthia may be H. cymbiformis or cuspidata or somthing like that.
17 looks like echevaria runyonii "topsy turvy"
I agree with Austrocylindropuntia verschafelltii for #19
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
ncox

Does it bloom like this?

Post by ncox »

Yep that is exactly what it looks like when it blooms. I got two plants from a couple rebuilding their house. And I have been passing plants on to those who want them every year. lol They grow so fast but yet I love them.
echinopsis ed

Post by echinopsis ed »

Have long have you had your Echinopsis spachiana for? It should start to clump at least one year after you've planted it in an open garden.
Here's one of the four specimens of this type that I have growing. Mine was 1ft tall when it was planted in Feb 2006 and is now at about 1.5 metres (approx. 5ft) tall. I'm now just waiting for its' next growth spurt with Spring just a week away. 8)
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Hrmmm, i'm having second thoughts about O. ficus-indica for #15.

In pic #24, the pads between the agaves, are those from the same plant as pic #15? If so, then not ficus-indica. The leaves on the new growth don't look right.

Have a look at Opuntia ellisiana for #15.

#28 O. macrorhiza?
#29 looks more like O. ficus-indica.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Great looking collection of plants ncox :wink:
Darryl has nailed down the opuntias and cylindro's but Im not sure if #28 is O. macrorhiza, I have several varities of macrorhiza and they all have a fair amount of spines. But then again, anything is possible with opuntiads :lol:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
echinopsis ed

Post by echinopsis ed »

CoronaCactus wrote:5. Echinopsis spachiana
Darryl, I had to wait to get back home from work to query you on your #5 identification. I vaguely remembered a slightly different ID for mine.

I purchased four of these specimens from a cacti grower and he labeled them as 'trichocereus spachianus'.

Also two of my specimens are supposed to produce white flowers, while the other two are supposed to produce red flowers??? :roll: I'm still waiting for at least one of them to flower. :wink:
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

Ed, Trichocereus spachianus is the old name for Echinopsis spachiana. its the same thing. The genus Trichocereus is now included within echinopsis.
This species produces white flowers, so your red ones could be a similar species like T. huascha or grandiflora, or a hybrid.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

ya, what Lewis said :D
echinopsis ed

Post by echinopsis ed »

Lewis_cacti wrote:Ed, Trichocereus spachianus is the old name for Echinopsis spachiana. its the same thing. The genus Trichocereus is now included within echinopsis.
This species produces white flowers, so your red ones could be a similar species like T. huascha or grandiflora, or a hybrid.
Okay then, looking at the pic below, if E. spachianus is as identified, what is the ID for the other species with the question marks? It produces a mass of white flowers.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

hey Ed,
^i think that fatter shorter clumping one may be Trichocereus/echinopsis schickendantzii